jenjn79's Reviews > Being Wicked

Being Wicked by Lacy Danes

Jan 30, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009, info-full, reviewed, genre-romance-erotic-historical, format-trade-pb, published-2009, stars-3
Recommended to jenjn79 by: random buy

Rating: 3.5 / 5

Hot, hot book, but also rather one-dimensional. I didn't think it was bad in any sense, but it wasn't what I'd hoped it would be. If it'd been a bit longer with more development, I think I would have liked it much more. It gets high points for sex, but the romance and character development was lacking.

Being Wicked is a historical erotic romance set in England, 1828. It tells a dual-romance, focusing on two pairings instead of the typical one. Lilly Grey is an innocently raised young woman who has been hearing things about her brother that worry her. So one night she sneaks into the blanket box of his carriage and arrives at his destination along with him. She's shocked to realize that not only does he associate with known rake Vincent St. Jerome, but that he was going to an orgy part.

Grace Wentland is a widow whose dreams of love and a happy marriage were shattered by a husband who introduced her to the sinful side of life. She'd loved Oscar, but he'd made her believe love and connection were impossible. Still, since his death, she has missed the sensual feast she'd experienced as his wife. So one night a friend convinces her to attend an orgy party...where she's shocked to run into her childhood friend Winston Greyton.

Lilly's and Grace's paths intersect at the party and Grace encourages Lilly to open her mind, to see what, in Grace's jaded mind, life is all about. To understand that people are human with human needs. Lilly does just that and that night becomes something she never expected with St. Jerome as her guide. For Grace, the night breaks down walls she'd erected over the years and she finds a man who can fulfill all her needs.

Whew! This book is definitely a sizzler. Lots and lots of sex of just about every kind. It's definitely not a book for those with vanilla tastes. There's just a lot of different stuff going on sexually, not always involving the main characters. Afterall, the story did feature an orgy party, so there were scenes describing what others were doing. So beware if you're considering reading this one. You have to have a tolerant kink level to get through it.

Which I do. And the sex was definitely steamy, but it also took over the story. The entire book takes place over maybe a day and half, two days max, and with so much sex the characters didn't have much time to interact on a everyday level. Which didn't matter too much for Grace and Winston since they were childhood friends. But for Lilly and Vincent, I had some trouble buying into their romance.

They never talked at all about themselves, their lives. Nothing. Just a tour through the orgy, some foreplay and sex and a little while later, engaged they were. It just felt very shallow. I like my romances more developed than that. I want to feel like the characters have a sense of each other before committing and I didn't get that from Vincent and Lilly. Plus it didn't help that it seemed like Grace got more page time than Lilly. It was disappointing overall. I think it the book had been longer and spread out over a longer time period, it would have really helped the overall story.

But I did for the most part enjoy Grace and Winston. They had some hot chemistry and there was a better emotional bond between the two. The seemed to make the perfect pair when it came to their needs. I think I actually would have preferred the story be solely about them.

So in the end, I think I'd give this book a 5 for super hot sex, but maybe only a 2.5 for romance and character development. If your looking for just a really hot, kinky story to read, then this one might suit you. But if you want a story that's more well-rounded, this one may end up disappointing you.

WARNING, this book contains: explicit sex and language, references and description of an orgy party (with a lot of varied scenes...think kinky here), references to wife-sharing, virgin deflowering, anal sex, shaving, bondage, dominance/submission, spanking, some light f/f action, references to golden showers, exhibitionism, voyeurism, a toe-fucking scene...you get the picture, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Wicked.

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina Toe-fucking?!? That's something new to me, LOL!

message 2: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim The golden shower is a little much for me.

message 3: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Once again, love your warnings, Isis!;)

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Me too! I always read her warnings first. =)

jenjn79 The golden shower thing was one small like 2 paragraph chunk referenced at the end. And it was basically one of the heroines mentioning something forced upon her. So it wasn't really a big part.

And the toe-fucking was the same heroine watching something at the orgy party.

Most of the things involving the actual H/H's were fairly typical for very sexual erotic romance. The candle wax was really the most uncommon thing done between an H/H pair. Everything else was others doing it at the orgy party, or a reference to a past event.

message 6: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet well, alright then! LOL! Isis, why don't you just tell us what's not in it...that might actually be a little easier ;)