Donna 's Reviews > The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Nov 04, 2012

bookshelves: best-of-2013, fairy-tale, friendship, magical-creatures, read-in-2013, witchery, ya, awesome-audio-narration

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a children's fairy tale made for adults. Like most of Neil Gaiman's books, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is so quirky and surreal that it is difficult to summarize and review. Reading this was like drifting off into a dream, or a long forgotten childhood memory. The story begins when a middle-age adult wanders back to his childhood home and visits the farm where he recalls some unusual events taking place when he was very young. As he reminisces on these strange happenings, a rather eerie fairy tale unfolds for the reader.

I listened to this on audio which is always such a treat when Neil Gaiman is narrating his own stories. Gaiman so perfectly captures every nuance of expression and personality of his characters as well as creates an almost dreamlike atmosphere for the story itself. He is absolutely a master storyteller. The Ocean at the End of the Lane was quite short, not quite a novella but rather shorter than most novels, but it still managed to contain a complete and hypnotic story.

I would absolutely recommend this and every other book Neil Gaiman has written to anyone who enjoys an unusual and beautifully written fairy tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Quotes Donna Liked

Neil Gaiman
“I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else.”
Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Neil Gaiman
“I went away in my head, into a book. That was where I went whenever real life was too hard or too inflexible.”
Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane

June 23, 2013 – Shelved as: awesome-audio-narration
July 2, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Eager to see your review of this one, Donna

Kara Just started listening to Gaiman in the last 6 months... don't know why it took me so long! Anyway... greatly looking forward to this one, and your review!

Donna I'm going to write the review tomorrow. I love Neil Gaiman's writing, this one wasn't my favorite of his books but it was still really good.

message 4: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay I was looking for this one at my library, and they didn't have it. I hope they get it in soon.

Donna Most libraries can order books from other libraries in the state. Ask them if another library nearby has it for you to request!

message 6: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Good point. I'll do that. Thanks.:)

message 7: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Adding it. Have only recently heard of this author (have only this year started reading fantasy, space opera, and science-fiction).