Kirby Howell's Reviews > Pandemonium

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

7519360

Set in a world where love has been outlawed, and everyone receives a lobotomy for their eighteenth birthday, Pandemonium continues exactly where Delirium left off. (Thank God!)

The book flips back and forth between ‘then’ and ‘now’, which is confusing after a particularly intense scene, but it ends up being a terrific exercise for your brain in figuring out the main character’s motives. It also serves to mix up the timeline of an otherwise straightforward plot. This way, you see some of the magician’s tricks before they’re performed and then wonder how it looks from the other side of the table.

The first person present still bugs me. I thought I might get used to it after reading The Hunger Games, Matched and now this series, but no. I find it terribly distracting and I really hope that it’s a fad that goes away soon.

Don’t let my one complaint deter you from picking up this series. Lauren Oliver’s prose is elegant and flowing. You fall into Lena’s thoughts as easily as if they were your own and then congratulate yourself on how you turn a phrase.

My copy of Requiem, the third and final installment of the series, released on March 5, has already arrived on my Kindle!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pandemonium.