Melanie's Reviews > Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case

Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case by A.J. Sherwood

F 50x66

well written, exciting, and highly recommended

Rating: 4.5 🌈

It’s not a secret I love humor in my stories and author A.J. Sherwood does that so well.

So I dove into another series of hers, well backed into it as I already read Brandon’s Very Merry Haunted Christmas, so I knew the main couple superficially from a brother’s pov.

Now I got to see how they met, and get to know them more Intimately.

Sherwood seems to layer at least one of her main characters with a area of emotional damage or trauma to them. Whether it’s been inflicted by their childhood, families, or something else in their past, it’s heavy baggage is something that the character is still carrying.

Jonathan Bane, a licensed psychic, has been emotionally damaged by his parents and childhood. A mother who’s bond with her Anchor caused incredible chaos within the Bane family, leaving Jon with huge issues of trust, abandonment, and fear of commitment. A terrible thing when psychics need a anchor for stability.

For Donovan,it’s scars across his skin that, along with his size, makes people find him intimidating.

Sherwood does an excellent job of making us see exactly how Jon’s gift translates into reality. As well as how he actually he uses it in different situations..

I could, because of this, buy into the growing bond between the two men. Seeing Donovan “glow “ so brilliantly from Jon’s perspective made all the difference. So did the rest of the Havili family. I wish I’d read this first.

The murder mystery was a good one. The resolution and reveal was a stunner, which upped my total enjoyment and appreciation for the writing and plotting of the novel.

The relationship and complicated dynamics between Jon and Donovan is one that will play out over several stories simply because there’s so much to unpack between them. Not the least of which is the Psychic/Anchor deep relationship.

I’m looking forward to all the books and getting to know the rest of the found family of the department.

It’s another terrific story from a author I really enjoy.

Jon’s Mysteries series:
- [x] Jon’s Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case #1
- [ ] Jon’s Crazy Head-Boppon’ Mystery #2
- [ ] Jon’s Spooky Corpse Conundrum #3
- [x] Brandon’s Very Merry Haunted Christmas

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case.

January 18, 2022 – Started Reading