Maria's Reviews > Mad World: Sanctuary

Mad World by Samaire Provost

I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The second book in the Mad World series, Sanctuary takes place five years after the events of Epidemic. As Samaire Provost takes us back into the Dystopian world she's created with a resurgence of the Black Plague, we find the characters struggling to survive in a world full of zombies. At the end of Epidemic the characters who survived were 4 teenagers, 1 young child and a newborn, who wasn't fully human. Now these same characters are 4 young adults in their early twenties, a young teenage girl of 13 - who's going on twenty five, and a five year old boy, who's special and possibly crucial to the outlook for the human race.

Alyssa, Ryan, DeAndre, Caitlyn, Rissa and Luke have managed to survive the last five years by moving further and further east trying to outrun the plague. Fighting zombies to survive and laying low has become their way of life. Staying under the radar so the CDC doesn't track them has also become important as Luke, the human/zombie hybrid baby has become a part of the family and considers Alyssa and Ryan his parents and Rissa as his older sister. When they receive a warning that the CDC is close to where they are hiding, they all agree to go north to Canada in search of a place known only as "Sanctuary".

As the group tries to make their way north, they'll be faced with familiar hardships; the zombies always seem to pop up everywhere and when you least expect them, and they find themselves giving shelter to a man who may or may not turn out to be a spy for the CDC. I really liked how Ms. Provost kept the pace moving in this installment of the trilogy, the young people have really matured and become a family unit. Their devotion to each other is evident in how they care for each other and how they defend the group. It was really nice to see how they've come to accept Luke and want to protect him, even though he's not fully human. He's really a nice little kid and well behaved throughout the whole book too.

Will Alyssa and her new family be able to find the place known as Sanctuary? What will the future for them bring? You'll have to read Sanctuary to find out. I really enjoyed this installment and the twists and turns Ms. Provost brings to the story. I have to give you a warning though - this story does have a cliffhanger type ending and now I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on Desperation, the next book in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mad World.

Started Reading