Lindsey's Reviews > The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

1974507
Jan 30, 2009

bookshelves: favorites

I was really REALLY skeptical going into this book. Personally I didn't think the story of the building of a Cathedral could be even remotely interesting but apparently I have been grossly misinformed about the subject because this book with surprisingly good!
It was very much a medieval soap opera with lots of spouse switching,violence, sex and corruption. It has so many twists and turns that you can't help but wonder what could possibly happen next.
I must admit this book wasn't all great. Personally I found the numerous and grotesquely described rape scenes to be almost unnecessary to the story, it honestly made me wonder if the author has some weird fantasy of violently seducing women. Aside from the violent rapes I also ran into an issue with the fact that the language seemed to switch back and forth between modern sayings and 12th century sayings.
Overall an entertaining read, the story was at least good enough that I could look past the flaws to give it a high rating!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of the Earth.