The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)'s Reviews > Wide Sargasso Sea

Jan 30, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: british-authors, read-in-2009, caribbean
Read in March, 2009

How disappointing. After completely falling in love with Jane Eyre I was really looking forward to reading this. Perhaps, though, the reason I didn't like this book is because of my love for Jane Eyre .

I didn't like anything about this book: the style, the subject, the plot, nothing. I started it a few months ago, put it down and then decided yesterday to try again but no - still didn't like it. In fact the only reason I gave it 2 stars was because part 3 slightly redeemed itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wide Sargasso Sea.

02/08/2009 page 41
21.35% 2 comments

message 1: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar This is not one of my fav books but I found it interesting :)

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) I'm struggling with it. Not because of the writing, just because I love Jane Eyre so much that I don't want to hear anything bad about her or Mr Rochester. You're right, it's interesting but it's certainly not one of my faves either.

message 3: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar I love Mr. Rochester too, so reading this kinda makes me sad ...

message 4: by April (new) - added it

April I have this book. Sorry to hear that you are struggling. :-(

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Completely relate to this, Boof. You almost have to detract it from Jane Eyre and remember that it is only an itnerpretation. I mean, I love both books, and I love Rochester in JE whilst dislike (but am understanding of) him in WSS. It's strange because it isn't him at all (the wit, most obviously, is lacking) but in a strange way it has become him, his past, for me.

But it's more about Antoinetta/Bertha.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) I know, Lauren, I think if I hadn't read this straight after JE I may have had a completely differnt take on it. I was so excited about reading JE and didn't want the experience to end which is why I picked this up and I think the timing was a mistake.

message 7: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar I never want to relate this with JE. It will ruin my imagination of Mr. Rochester :(

message 8: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks This is one book that I started but did not finish. It seemed spiteful to me.

Grace Tjan I'm reluctant to read this because I'm afraid that it will 'ruin' the original Mr. Rochester for me. Maybe I'll read it someday.