Tom F's Reviews > The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership That Matters

The Conviction to Lead by R. Albert Mohler Jr.
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Conviction to Lead.

November 4, 2012 – Started Reading
November 4, 2012 – Shelved
November 4, 2012 –
page 20
8.93% "I'm not one for reading leadership books. I find the genre to be lots of fluff and rather egotistical. In the first chapter Dr. Mohler addresses the problem and history of leadership books, and says he wants to alter the way we look at leadership. Leading with belief and conviction."
page 27
12.05% "Leadership requires conviction. Conviction comes from beliefs, which come from truth. As Christians we have the truth, it should lead to beliefs and convictions. Dr. Mohler speaks of Justin Martyr, Martin Luther, and others who were willing to die for their convictions."
page 27
12.05% ""I believe that leadership is all about putting the right beliefs into action, knowing, on the basis of convictions, what those right beliefs and actions are.""
page 27
12.05% ""This book is written with the concern that far too much of what passes for leadership today is mere management. Without convictions you might be able to manage, but you cannot really lead.""
page 27
12.05% ""At the same time, many Christians feel called to lead and are passionately committed to all the right truths, but they are simply not sure where to go from here. In the following chapters..." That would fit me, looking forward to what Dr. Mohler has to say going forward."
November 8, 2012 –
page 37
16.52% "Convictional Intelligence. Dr. Mohler describes this as an intelligence that comes from study of the Word and other Christian books, personal devotions, prayer, and living in fellowship with and accountability of a local congregation. Knowing truth so well that it becomes ingrained, and hearing something that doesn't mesh immediately stands out"
November 9, 2012 –
page 43
19.2% "The leader must know the story of Christ and His work, and the leader must no his place in that story. "The leader also knows that the story is not our possession. It possesses us.""
November 11, 2012 –
page 49
21.88% "Christian leaders must understand worldviews, be able to shape them, and be able to guide the organization they lead into an alignment of worldview. If our thoughts and decisions are based on our worldview, then shaping this worldview,and finding those in agreement with it, is crucial to leadership. Ideas have consequences."
November 12, 2012 –
page 57
25.45% "Dr. Mohler discusses passion. Passion comes from conviction, and w/o it movements die, as illustrated by the fall of the Soviet Union. Mohler says that while Soviets had conviction, their governance didn't produce passion so people didn't rise up to keep it from dying. Then there is the Kierkagaard, he said the people of his day had no passion about the Gospel. How could a Christian not have passion about the Gospel?"
November 13, 2012 –
page 74
33.04% "Summing up two chapters this time. Leaders and thinkers, and leaders are teachers. The leader who isn't thinking things through, and not thinking deeply and critical can't lead beyond his thinking. Leaders teach, and do so well. The Christian faith relies heavily on good teaching. So a Christian leader must be able to teach."
November 13, 2012 –
page 82
36.61% "A Christian leader must have a character that matches what they say. While we are simul justus et peccatar (sp?), we must have a good moral standing privately in order to lead publicly. He argues against those who say the Presidential office has been damaged by demands for moral character. He ends the chapter saying you wouldn't choose a babysitter w/ a poor moral character, why wouldn't you look at that in a leader?"
page 90
40.18% "Leaders need credibility. If people can't trust the leader, they won't follow him, and he isn't a leader. Dr. Mohler makes it clear that credibility can be earned, and it can easily be lost. This is very timely considering General Petraus and others in the news this week."
page 98
43.75% "A leader must be a communicator. Boldly, and courageously communicating his message. Even when opposed. His message must be consistent, and from conviction. As Akin and Mourdock show us recently, communication must be clear, carefully choosing words to convey an exact meaning without causing confusion."
page 107
47.77% "Leaders must be readers, while Dr. Mohler admits is cliche, is also true. Dr. Mohler is known for his love of books and reading. On his podcast he signs off with "Keep Reading" or "Keep Thinking." In this chapter, the best so far, he discusses what to read and how to read."
page 107
47.77% "Dr. Mohler, rightly says the Bible should be our priority when it comes to reading. Saying our spiritual maturity is dependent on our reading of the Bible. He then goes on to talk about what books to read, preferring older to modern. He discusses reading fiction, and why. And then recommends four newspapers to read regularly. I hope he publishes this chapter for free for others to read."
page 113
50.45% ""The Christian leader will serve by leading and lead by serving, knowing that the power of office and leadership is there to be used, but to be used toward the right ends and in the right manner. Power can never be seen as an end in itself""
page 113
50.45% "Referring to lessons from Nietzsche "Left to themselves, leaders can and will turn into power-hungry predators. Strangely enough, a considerable percentage of humany actually seems to want that kind of leadership. But this is an anathema to Christians, who must understand that with power and responsbility must come accountability""
page 122
54.46% "Leaders as managers. Dr. Mohler, referring often to Peter Drucker (a rather controversial figure for his role in the Church, though that wasn't mentioned) talks about the need for a leader to also be a manager. Saying that a leader who doesn't understand how to run an organization and understand a budget won't be able to lead that organization."
page 132
58.93% "Leaders as speakers. Most interesting in this chapter is Dr. Mohler's process for preparing to speak. His focus on the practical is as helpful, if not more so, than knowing that the leader must be able to speak. Dr. Mohler's preaching evidences his experience in this one."
page 140
62.5% ""Leadership is a trust, and we will answer to God for that trust." In this chapter, Dr. Mohler talks about the leader as steward. A Christian knows that he is not sovereign, but rather God is sovereign. What we are working for is an eternal kingdom, not something temperal belong to us. King Nebby had to learn this the hard way, we as Christians should know this."
page 148
66.07% "Leaders and decision makers. Dr. Mohler talks about the decision making process, and the consequences thereof. That the leader as a steward is called to make decisions, and to do so from conviction. Convictions eliminate even considering some decisions that would compromise on those convictions."
November 29, 2012 –
page 182
81.25% "In this chapter, Dr. Mohler talks about technology and social media. Not taking advantage of these resources means not reaching the modern world. He advocates Twitter, bogging, podcasting. Then discusses ereaders, smartphones, tablets."
November 29, 2012 –
page 206
91.96% "Time, Patience, Endurance, Death, and Stewardship. We all have limited time in our day, and in our life. God has called us to steward this time well. He has also called us to patience and endurance. We must realize that our convictions take time and patience to guide organizations. And only if we stick around will our convictions continue to shape organizations."
November 29, 2012 – Finished Reading