Marcy Pusey's Reviews > The Making of Biblical Womanhood: How the Subjugation of Women Became Gospel Truth

The Making of Biblical Womanhood by Beth Allison Barr

bookshelves: 2022

I came across the book from a fellow mother who found it on her teen daughter’s shelf. She was concerned about what her “searching” daughter was reading… but was even more concerned when she read it.

“Marcy, did you know what Paul actually meant? Why haven’t we been taught that?!”

She sent so many screenshots that I finally just bought the book.

As I read, Barr confirmed what I’d lately learned… that it was elements of Christian culture that had groomed me for abuse and my husband for abusing, and not the heart of God. It wasn’t JESUS who called me to die at the expense of an upheld marital contract, but ignorant but profiteering members of His body. Well, some were ignorant.

While this book is not about abuse, I understand why I experienced it.

This is a very meaty, detailed historical look at the threads of hierarchy and misogyny in the church and western culture. Barr lays an undeniable spread of evidence that I wish was taught in every seminary, every church, in children’s books and from stages. Her final chapter is poignant and serves up the final call as Believers… to unify in our belief in Jesus Christ instead of divided over arguments of power and authority. Amen!

I’m now a single mom raising two teens and I want them to know the truth… that they are loved, valuable, purposed and not at ANYONE’s expense.

Thank you, Beth Allison Barr, for adding your voice to the melody.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Making of Biblical Womanhood.

January 16, 2022 – Shelved