Erin's Reviews > The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon

The Lost City of Z by David Grann

Jan 29, 2009

bookshelves: history, latin-america, i-loved

This book was phenomenal. As I was looking specifically for some light reading I was wary that I'd be sentencing myself to a book that would be difficult and dry to get through at times.

Not the case here at all. From the moment I picked it up I was entranced. Grann has a real gift for giving you the context and history of the time but paces it expertly. It was a perfect mix of history, anthropology and nature writing. A delicious mystery, and so many colorful characters throughout. I'll be recommending this to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost City of Z.

January 29, 2009 – Shelved
February 1, 2009 –
page 70
February 4, 2009 –
page 115
32.67% "Amazing book so far. Loving it!"
Started Reading
February 9, 2009 – Finished Reading
February 16, 2013 – Shelved as: i-loved

message 1: by Petra X (new)

Petra X I have this book but have dithered about reading it. It appeals to me because I have been up the Amazon, but I haven't found another 'hook' to actually get me into it.

message 2: by Erin (last edited Feb 10, 2011 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I bet it was an incredible experience!! If mysterious circumstances appeal to you it may be another reason to read. To some extent the author tries to resolve what happened to the explorer he focused on (whose name escapes me at the moment) so I didn't feel like it was at all anti-climactic. It also wasn't completely implausible.