Jon's Reviews > The Sparrow

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

Jan 29, 2009

bookshelves: audiobooks, fiction, science-fiction, read-in-my-40s, award-winners, loved-it
Recommended to Jon by: Alternate Worlds Feb 2009 Selection
Read from February 02 to 08, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sparrow.

02/02/2009 page 35
100% "Almost finished with the first CD - somewhere in the 2nd chapter"
02/02/2009 "Listened to tracks 62-75 of Disc 01 during lunch."
02/02/2009 "Disc 02 Track 32 - Somewhere in Chapter 6 - Father General is going to relocate Father Santos via the Vatican Tunnels to a Naples retreat"
02/03/2009 "Disc 02 Track 76 - Starting chapter 8"
02/03/2009 "Disc 03 Track 25 - In the middle of chapter 9"
02/04/2009 "Disc 03 Track 95 Chapter 11 - I was fascinated by the realization that you could use a partially mined out asteroid for interstellar travel"
02/04/2009 "Disc 04 Track 46 - Sophia is set free"
02/05/2009 "Disc 05 Track 9 - Starting chapter 15 - Solar system 2021"
02/05/2009 "Disc 05 Track 38 - Lift off!"
02/05/2009 "Disc 05 Track 85 - The beginnings of the Jesuit trial/hearing of Santos"
02/06/2009 "Disc 08 Track 66 - pace increasing as we bounce back/forth between 1st contact and inquisition"
02/06/2009 "Disc 10 Track 45"
02/07/2009 "Starting Disc 11"

Brad I was actually thinking of getting the discs now that I finished reading the book, but I think I may skip it after what you said about Colacci's feminine vocals. I have their voices in my head, so it is probably better to just keep them there.

message 2: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon You might try listening to the audiobook. Rather than buying it, just check it out from the library and see if you like it. I had difficulty hearing some of the dialog because I commuted to work in a Firebird which is a very noisy car to begin with.

I do still think the reader could have done better with the female voices, but his male voices were spot on.

I also agree that if you already have voices for them in your head, it might spoil it for you.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Do read the sequel. Unlike some sequels it does stand up as a solid follow-up. The Sparrow is tied for my favorite book of all time and the sequel is in the top ten.

Cindy Jon - thanks for the info on the audiobook version. I read The Sparrow 9ish years ago and loved it. I only just found out about the sequel (thanks GoodReads!), so I thought I could revisit The Sparrow through the audiobook. Now I think I'll just re-read it.