Melanie's Reviews > Ghost of Truth

Ghost of Truth by Alice  Winters

F 50x66

it was ok

just ok, main character and plot issues

Rating: 2.5

It’s always the second book that seals the deal one way or the other. In this case , it the flag that tells me go no further.

I like Alice Winters. Her books are normally characterized by such great elements like well-developed complicated plots, multi dimensional characters with great chemistry , and snappy intelligent dialogue.

None of which is on display here.

Based on the two books I’ve finished, the series reads like something scribbled off while completing other high priority books. The storylines are plodding. The culprits spotted easily and immediately. And any supposed mystery is so far from some being a surprise that it’s less a revelation, more a eye roll.

But the real issue lies with the main characters.

I had an issue with Hiro in the first story but thought that his lack of communication with his partner and friends had been worked through.

No. Hiro is, apparently, what I term a TSTC character. That’s a To Stupid To Communicate character. A type that’s right up there with the TSTL characters, often they are the same .

Aspects of their personality include a inability to tell anyone around them major plot points that they need to know, often to survive, even though every rational person would do so immediately.

Especially the person closest to them, which proceeds to put that person (and others) at the greatest risk. Duh.

Other elements include running into danger ; for example when you suspect a person , someone who has been acting VERY differently ( like pulling a gun on you) , then asks you to get in the car. You know things like that. Then… not telling or communicating that to anyone!

Yep. TSTC. That’s Hiro. For the entire book.

What does poor Maddox do? Spend the book angry and chasing after him. Plus wondering where he is, because, you know, no communication.

Even the ghosts are irritated with him.

I get that.

At the end, with a miserable sort of pulled together finish to their case which gives no one any satisfaction, the author tries to offer up a hint of a mystery about the final days of a major character. But , to show you how bad this series is, you can already guess the answer and who exactly the bad guys are.

Before that third book is even out! Because everything here is one dimensional, even the mysteries. Nancy Drew would have passed on this one as being too easy.

So if you’re like me and you like this author, I’m not recommending this book or series. There are , imo, far superior series and novels in her library.

Instead head over to her Hitman’s Guide or the fantastic VRC: Vampire Related Crimes series. Her character , Finn, a double amputee, is as engaging and complex as they come.

Medium Trouble series:
- [x] Ghost of Lies #1
- [x] Ghost of Truth #2

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost of Truth.

January 13, 2022 – Started Reading