Kenneth's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Jan 28, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: juvenilelit

Don't be misled by the Newbury Medal. This book is does not "live" up to the honor or the hype. Gaiman fans will gush. Librarians may recommend. Walk don't run to knock this one off the juvenile lit. queue.
While the emotional content of the book, especially concerning the protagonist's coming of age and dealing with loss resonated well, but the story itself just seemed glued on and spotty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

Jennifer I liked it better than you, I think. The Dance Macabre chapter was just loveliness and I found the Jacks genuinely frightening. I didn't realize it had won a Newberry, though. I agree that it was not -that- good. Still, I was pleased with it and found myself thinking that today's tweens have much better fantasy available than I did back in 1991 when I was reading f*ing Piers Anthony. AAAARRgh. I want those hours back. Incarnations of Imortality, what?! Incarnations of self-Important Imbecility, more like. xojg

Kenneth You are spot on about the quality and variety of YA lit (fantasy and otherwise) today as opposed to back in "our day". Hello! Dragonlance!? Yeah I read a grand total of ONE Piers Anthony books. bleah.
For Juv/Teen Lit. Fantasy, I would recommend the 100 Cupboards or The Alchemyst over the Gaiman Newbury. For genuine creepy excitement from Gaiman, check out Coraline. I would say it one of his best books.