Sheri's Reviews > The Proposition

The Proposition by Katie Ashley

Nov 02, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Sheri by: Maryse's Book Blog

I really loved this story; I mean really loved this story! It ranks as another one of my favorite reads of 2012. The concept was quite different from any other romance book I've read recently, which made me fall in love with it even more. A good steamy romance is right up my alley & this definitely met the criteria, although it started more as an "unromance.”

“Here’s my proposition. I offer to father your child, and you in turn, promise to
conceive it with me naturally.”

Aidan & Emma had a somewhat unconventional beginning to their relationship. I’m not one to provide a synopsis of the books I review since you can easily find that out for yourself, so just know this, Aidan was the kind of man you love to hate. Hot, sexy, and a bona fide player. Like I said, the kind of man you LOVE to HATE. And the kind of man you just can’t stay away from (at least when you live in the fiction world).

So, you might ask, if I loved this story so much, why not 5 stars? Well, there were just a few nit-picky things that personally bothered me. First off, I liked Emma and I completely understood her reasons for wanting a baby so badly. Many women feel that urge for motherhood. I know I certainly did. But she was only approaching 30. She wasn’t reaching her prime by any means, especially by today’s standards. (I had my first child six days before I turned 33.) Emma was a self sufficient, independent, career-oriented woman but was yet so desperate for a baby. It’s not that far-fetched, I know that, but yet, it made me sad. It’s not what I would want for my own daughters as they approach 30. Then again, if she weren’t so desperate for a baby, then there wouldn’t be story. Additionally, the writing didn’t flow for me. It felt too much like a one-sided conversation, as if I was being told the story, which obviously, I was. But I like when I feel a part of the story, not an outsider looking in but rather being right in the middle of everything.

Putting aside my own nit-pickiness, the concept as well as the characters kept me interested & coming back for more. Therefore, I highly recommend this book, as it was a very entertaining and quick read, not to mention that Aidan was quite HOT. Yep, he’s on the book boyfriend list now.

Overall, the story itself left me feeling very satisfied & definitely wanting more. Oh, did I mention there’s a cliffhanger? Yep, definitely need more! Coming up soon, The Proposal, for your enjoyable reading pleasure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Proposition.

Quotes Sheri Liked

Katie Ashley
“So what you’re saying is Nate isn’t sex on a stick?” Emma asked.

Casey chuckled. “Nate is barely sex on a low fat wheat-thin. But I sowed a few wild oats back in my day, so I’m totally satisfied with what I have.” She bent over to grab up her abandoned container and silverware. Waving her fork at Emma, she said, “You, on the other hand, have a bag of oats needing satisfying.”

Emma rolled her eyes. “Let’s leave my oats out of this please.”

Katie Ashley
“Emma pursed her lips thoughtfully. “Okay, here’s a really bad analogy for you. Aidan is like the Indy 500 of Sex, and I need someone who is more—”

“Bumper cars?” Casey asked.

“I was going to say the slow lane, smartass.”

Katie Ashley
“Why does everything have to be so damn hard on me? Women everywhere can drop their panties and have mindless sex, but no, not me! I have to get emotionally invested in a douchenozzle who is only willing to knock me up for his own pleasure!”

Katie Ashley
“I didn’t expect to see you, Mr. Fitzgerald,” she said, meekly.

A grin slunk across his face. “No, I imagine you were expecting to get to castrate Connor.”

Katie Ashley
“He scooted his chair so close to hers that she fought the urge to back away. She gulped at his nearness. The lustful gleam flashing in his eyes made him like the Big Bad Wolf looming over her. “How much plainer can I make it for you? You were so damn sexy in that green dress. Your hair was down and fell in waves around your shoulders. And you kept giving me those innocent little smiles from across the room.” His breath scorched against her cheek before he whispered into her ear. “I’ve never wanted to fuck someone so much as I wanted to you.”

Katie Ashley
“Emma leaned over to where their faces were only inches apart. “Since you think you know everything, tell me if you understand this. Have you ever wanted something so bad you think you’d die if you don’t have it? That the mere thought of it keeps you up at night. You can’t sleep, you can’t eat, you can’t drink. You are so consumed by that desire nothing else matters, and you’re not sure life is worth living if you can’t have it.”

Katie Ashley
“Have you ever wanted something so bad you think you’d die if you don’t have it? That the mere thought of it keeps you up at night. You can’t sleep, you can’t eat, you can’t drink. You are so consumed by that desire nothing else matters, and you’re not sure life is worth living if you can’t have it.”

Katie Ashley
“Is this one of those contracts like in that kinky book where we outline what we're willing to do or not do during sex? Like our hard limits and safe words?”

Katie Ashley
“Drawing in a deep breath, she smacked his bare ass. Hard. "Aidan Fitzgerald, you better fuck me like you mean it!”

Katie Ashley
“A MWF sex schedule? How efficient," he mused.
"Please be serious."
A wicked grin flashed on his face. "Fine, pencil me in. I'll be ready and erect whenever you need me.”

Katie Ashley
“Damn, are these Scooby Doo?"
She giggled. "I wasn't expecting company, and I have a slight obsession from growing up with the old cartoon."
"They almost killed my hard on."
She slid her hand between them and then quirked her eyebrows. "Seems fine to me.”

Katie Ashley
“Yeah, that's right. You're stuck with me now, and I don't have a nice rack for you to snuggle up to.”

Katie Ashley
“You see I've been taking these tests to tell when I'm ovulating and when I'm mostfertile. And well...it's now."

"Oh, so you came up here for a fuck?"

Emma cringed. "Do you always have to be so crude?"

He chuckled. "I'm sorry. Would you prefer I call it an afternoon delight?" he teased.”