Sheree's Reviews > White Lies

White Lies by Jayne Ann Krentz

Jan 28, 2009

bookshelves: romance, suspense-thriller, read-in-2009, reviews
Recommended to Sheree by: Lara

There were a number of things I really enjoyed about this book.
This story had a strong suspenseful plot & being uncertain of the killer until 3/4 of the way through the novel was quite refreshing. I also thoroughly enjoyed the steamy romantic sub-plot.

Clare Lancaster is a level 10 parasensitive who's psychic ability is to read lies. Jake Salter is a level 10 hunter, freelancing for Jones & Jones an investigative agency in the Arcane Society, who's purpose is to protect the formula that can create a super psychic. I loved the chemistry between Clare & Jake, both strong personalities with a mutual understanding & appreciation of each others abilities.

Claire's ability to tell truth from deception is all that saved her half sister from death at the hands of her husband eight months prior. Now Claire is back in Arizona at the request of her father Archer Glazebrook and she's become the target of someone bent on revenge. Jake, masquerading as a business consultant for Glazebrook is determined to protect Clare after a barrage of coincidental threats. Together they "unravel a web of conspiracy & murder."

I really wanted to know more about the characters unique & fascinating abilities. Jake's powerful talent allows him to pick up the psychic spoor left by anyone in the grip of intense, violent emotion & Clare's abilities as a human lie detector affected her on a paranormal & physical level. I really enjoyed her take on lies, from white lies to ultraviolet (Clare's codeword for evil)"the ability to lie...I consider it to be value-neutral, sort of like fire." "You can cook a meal with fire or burn down a house. In the hands of a person with evil intent, lying can be used to cause enormous damage."

The descriptions of the Arcane Society are a little vague & unusual, maybe they were expanded upon in book 1? All parasensitives are registered with the Arcane Society & rated according to their gift & psychic strength. Not so unusual ... the weird factor increases when the reader discovers that not only can sensitives check out each others psychic statistics online, they can register at Arcanematch.com to find their perfect psychic mate... Ughh please!
That aside this was still an enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Lies.

January 28, 2009 – Shelved