Donna McBroom-Theriot's Reviews > The Truth About Us

The Truth About Us by Dalene Flannigan

What is it about the truth, or for that matter, the secrets, that seem to haunt us until we give in to the need to purge? Why is it we think we can cleanse ourselves if we reveal our secrets of the past, no matter the consequences to anyone else? Who gives us the right to make this decision?

“Three women, roommates back in college, find their lives forever altered when one of them feels compelled to confess the secret sin of their past.”

The author wrote a fast-paced book intertwining the past and the present that keeps you on your toes; and just when you think you have figured out a secret, another one surfaces.

“Did you hear me Erica? I have found Jesus.” “I didn’t know he was missing.” Jude sighed into the phone.”
“Dear Grace: I know this is out of the blue. I need to talk to you. Jude has found Jesus and insists that she must now walk the path of truth.”

The characters were interesting and diverse. You have Jude, who is a selfish person with a religious obsession. There is Erica, whose life is a complete disaster and who has trouble coping with life. And, then there is Grace, who like her name, is strong and steadfast.

“My mother tried. She painted my bedroom pink and put me in ballet when I was four but even then she knew she had picked the wrong name. A Grace should be graceful, should be one of those tiny, sparrow girls who run on tiptoe preparing for the inevitability of high heels.”

Clarity of the book for me came in the final few pages. I look back and see how the decisions made in the heat of a moment far outreach that moment. The ripples in the water continuously send out ripples. I felt the book definitely had a message its reader.

If I were to choose a book to compare it to, I would choose the Memory Keeper’s Daughter. Not because of the topic of the book, but because of the similarities in how decisions we make affect the rest of our lives and those around us.

You can view additional information at http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth About Us.

Started Reading