Lauren's Reviews > The Pact

The Pact by Jodi Picoult

F 50x66
Jan 28, 2009

Read in January, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I can honestly say that I could not put down this book. Piccoult's writing style is wonderful as is her knack for telling a story.

The bone I have to pick with this book is that the ending leaves much unresolved. It seems obvious through most of the book that it's not going to be a "happy" ending (unless by some miracle a certain character is raised from the dead). But this ending leaves me feeling a bit betrayed by a character I was rooting for all along, only to find out he had a serious lapse in judgement and was obviously not the character I had been cheering for during the majority of the fairly lengthy novel.

The books gets points for being a page-turner and for giving great insight into the characters' lives and thought processes. Still, the ending bothers me. I don't like it, and I don't think that I will ever understand how someone can claim to love another so much that they want to take away emotional pain by assisting their suicide. Set them up with a therapist, call a psychiatrist, but please - tell me if you had a friend that confided in you that they were depressed and considering suicide - you wouldn't offer to help them get the gun, would you??
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pact.