Meg B.'s Reviews > Sometimes It Snows In America

Sometimes It Snows In America by Marisa Labozzetta

When I was in school I never much enjoyed my history classes. What I do love is a writer who can transport me to another time and place via a compelling character and bring to life a set of circumstances I could never have imagined. This book does just that. This riveting story, loosely based on a real-life person, chronicles the life of a young girl born into royalty in Africa who is married off to an American peace corp worker at age 12 and moves to the U.S., where she encounters a different kind of jungle. The descent of her circumstances in the U.S. is paralleled by the descent into chaos of her home nations in Africa, yet the book ends with a sense of hope and inspiration. I also loved how she played with the idea of class and the meaning of social status and security by contrasting the main character's royal, privileged beginnings with what is to follow, not just in America but to her family who remain in Africa as well. This is the third book I have read by this author, and while I enjoyed her other books this was by far the best. Her writing has matured and deepened as have her themes, and I look forward to her next book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sometimes It Snows In America.