Ariella's Reviews > Tamara Drewe

Tamara Drewe by Posy Simmonds

did not like it

This book was about how men make women objects, and how women feel pressurised by men and other women to conform to their expectations. This was made abundantly clear to me by the daughter of the main character, who appeared every now and again, and, in the guise of explaining to her mother her PhD, explicitly stated the themes of the book.
I think this book would have been stronger if we had some grasp on the main character. She appears quite late in the work--as do the novels two other more interesting characters, the local girls. We have no sense of her motivation a lot of the time, particularly her reason for dating the ex-band member. She appears to kiss him because she wants the details of the band's spilt, yet the goes on to set up house with him. We never have a sense of her wants or needs. I think this adds to her objectification, rather than her resistance to it, undermining the (explicitly stated) themes of the novel.
The use of blocks of texts and images made both seem redundant at times. Surely the point of graphic novel is that the pictures can carry much of the story? The drawing style too was sometimes a little off, particularly the characters facial expressions. Tamara frequently looked worried and/or perplexed without cause from the surrounding scene. This added to her blankness as a character.
And the ending? Terrible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tamara Drewe.

Finished Reading