Amy Metz's Reviews > Life Minus 3 1/2

Life Minus 3 1/2 by Dennis  Hart

Oct 31, 2012

Read 2 times

Life Minus 3 1/2 is one of my favorite books. Ever. This true story of a man in the grips of a gambling addiction, who embezzles over eleven million dollars, and gets mixed up with the mob and the FBI, is a fascinating tale told with honesty, grit, and humor. Dennis Hart does not attempt to glorify what happened. He simply narrates a time in his life that started out of a need to please his family and friends. Time and time again, he's sure he can gamble and win enough to pay thousands of dollars back to his bookie. The thousands turn into hundreds of thousands, eventually millions, and to cover the bets, Dennis embezzles from his workplace, fully intending to pay the money back once he scores that big win.

Add a teenage marriage (which he likens to an alien abduction,) crazy parents-in law (the mothership,) a failed marriage (it dissolved faster than an ice cube on an open fire pit,) a crazy ex-wife (the alien,) an early career mistake (a result of his trouble and bad luck magnets,) and you get a tired, dejected young father of two (and eventually four) who is desperately trying to prove himself.

Through Hart's narration, the reader sees how easy it is to get sucked into a gambling addiction. We see the stress of his keeping his addiction and theft from his family and his workplace. We see him getting further and further buried under debt and fear. But what makes this story such a compelling read is Hart's innate humor. He relays danger, drama, melodrama, and suspense, but he peppers all of it with his wonderful sense of humor. The man is flat out funny. He doesn't make light of the situations, but he shows us there is humor in everything, even the darkest of moments.

This book sucked me in. It's a nail biting, pound your chair, laugh out loud story of one man's mistakes and his redemption. I couldn't put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Minus 3 1/2.

message 1: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Pacheco Sounds absolutely wonderful! I could use a non-PNR book right about now. Thank you for the recommendation, Amy (that was hard for me, but I did as you asked ;)). I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and an extraordinary 2013...with a sequel??? I hope that situation has improved and you're hopeful?? I want to read soooo much more of your work!!!!
Carmen

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Metz Hi Carmen! Yes, please...call me Amy! I'm still not sure about GPJ2--thank you so much for asking about it, though. I think you'll love this book (Life). Have a great Christmas!
Amy