Kerri's Reviews > The Magic Circle

The Magic Circle by Katherine Neville

Jan 27, 2009

liked it

** spoiler alert ** I had a hard time getting in to this book, but once I was in, I liked the main character, Ariel, enough to keep going. I didn't really like any of the other characters, except for Sam, the cat, and the roommate. It didn't make a ton of sense that even though Ariel kept saying how she had avoided her crazy family for most of her life she sure seemed willing to take everything they told her as truth, even though she knew them each to have ulterior motives.

I also thought the whole "mystery" was pretty thin and I didn't really care about it. I didn't really see the big secret that needed protecting and that everyone was willing to kill for. I thought the bigger mystery was the family relations and how the grandfather manipulated everyone into building his master race. I also got really tired of each character/family member that Ariel goes to see telling her how much she doesn't know but then only telling her a part of the story. There were a lot of narrative breaks in the plot where a character would tell a story or some bit of history to Ariel and it killed the momentum for me. And why did she just follow Wolfgang blindly around? I thought she was supposedly an independent, intelligent woman, and once this guy shows up she just does whatever he says, despite the warnings of people she knows.

I guess I was pretty disappointed in this book, after having liked "The Eight" so much. This one just felt weak.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic Circle.