Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Dark Lord: The Early Years

Dark Lord by Jamie Thomson

bookshelves: 2012-100-book-challenge, 2012-release, books-i-own, mundie-kids-reviews

I feel like my review needs to start off with an evil laugh. After all this is a review for Dark Lloyd, or as he's known in our world Dirk Lloyd. Known as The Dark Lord, Dirk Lloyd is now a human, in our world and has no powers. Once the powerful ruler of a dark world, Dirk some how fell into our world and without his ring, and his power, he's unable to get back into his world. Forced to live life as a human, Dirk goes through various tests, and his given a foster home to stay in, since no one knows where he's from, and no one believes he's the Dark Lord he keeps claiming to be.

Written in a way that's both comical, and for the most part engaging for kids to read, Dirk is forced to go to school, discovers a few new friends, deals with a few bullies, and finds ways around doing things without his old powers. Dirk's story is told through a fun narrative, his journal entries, and some of his illustrations. Though I found some of his wordage to be repetitive, I think Dirk and his story are one young readers are really going to enjoy. It's funny, it has situations they can relate to, mentions of sports, a good vs evil plot, video game talk, and friendship. Above all it has a character that's both an evil genius, funny, and some one who learns a lot about friendship. Not to mention we get glimpses into the world The Dark Lord once ruled.

With a cast of unforgettable characters both in our world and from The Dark Lord's world, Dark Lord is a book I think a lot of readers will devour. It has a little bit of a Vordak feel to it (another great MG book), and a little bit of The Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Though this a book that is entirely it's own. It's a fun, adventurous, engaging read, and one I think even reluctant readers will enjoy. That ending will leave readers wishing the next installment in Dirk's story was already out. I'd definitely add this book to your list for MG readers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lord.

Started Reading
October 31, 2012 – Shelved
October 31, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-100-book-challenge
October 31, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-release
October 31, 2012 – Shelved as: books-i-own
October 31, 2012 – Shelved as: mundie-kids-reviews
October 31, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Would you recommend this book for a 13 year old or someone a little younger?

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Suzanne (Paranormal Pages) wrote: "Would you recommend this book for a 13 year old or someone a little younger?"

I recommend it for 11-13 yr olds.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Thanks :)

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids You're welcome :)