Vikas's Reviews > The Return of the King

The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: owned, nbtr, classics

So thus ends my journey to the middle earth in the original prequel and trilogy and sometimes later I shall go back through the other works to get deeper into the lore of it all. Also would watch Stephen Colbert geeking about LOTR.

If you have been following my reviews you would know that the decision to read this series stemmed from my reading of the first book of the 'Wheel of Time' series by Robert Jordan. People had written too much about it being like Fellowship and so I had decided to pause the Wheel of Time after the first book while I finished the Hobbit and LOTR. And like I said here I am.

I liked this one the best as it was shorter and full of action and had flushed out roles or Eowyn, Merry and Pippin. I also liked the detailed history which gave much more information about the middle earth and it was definitely an interesting read after the main story ended.

I also liked the twist at the end where the battle hardened hobbits now have to save Shire and it was masterfully. Solid end to a solid trilogy and I would now probably watch the movies as I could never enjoy them fully before and now in any case I try to read the source material first before watching any movie and TV Series, so hopefully now that I am versed with the journey taken by Frodo and gang I will again give it a go to the Movie Trilogy for I never completely saw any movie in the series and would look to remedy that now.

Yes definitely pick this series and always remember to just Keep on Reading .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return of the King.

October 31, 2012 – Shelved
January 30, 2014 – Shelved as: owned
May 16, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 20, 2019 – Started Reading
May 20, 2019 – Shelved as: nbtr
May 20, 2019 – Shelved as: classics
May 20, 2019 –
page 101
23.93% "Start with a bang of a battle."
May 21, 2019 –