Beanbag Love's Reviews > Iced

Iced by Karen Marie Moning

it was ok

I've been putting off this review for a very long time. I finally got my ass in gear when I saw the likelihood that Ryodan would win the Alpha Showdown -- a moronic exercise in which I far too often find myself participating -- and I felt I just couldn't procrastinate any longer.

Abusive, skeevy, middle-managers on steroids with serious pedo potential are not alphas. Sorry serial clickers, ear-splitting squeals of delight just won't change that fact.

This book had major, major problems. Many other reviewers have outlined them well, but here are a few of my issues (EXTREME SPOILER WARNING):

(view spoiler)

So that's part of why I didn't like the book. But there are other problems. I don't love the author's behavior either.

1. From an author Q&A: She didn't struggled with age of Dani. If she can be an assassin, she can have sex (but didn't say when will). If she started Dani at 17, she would be beyond some of the first moments of sexual awakening.

No, actually, that's an absolutely stupid equivalence. Moronic. Idiotic. Completely lacking in any consideration deeper than a snail trail. Dani's voice in this story is incredibly immature. My 12-year-old (at the time I read this) was far more mature than Dani without having killed a single person or monster (that I know of). Dani's voice is that of a girl younger than 14. She does not have the emotional maturity or experience to have non-damaging sexual relationships, particularly with much older men. And, like it or not, her relationship with Ryodan has already been sexualized enough that it's just plain gross. So, yeah, don't insult me with that "if she can be an assassin she can have sex" crap. How stupid. Every time I read that I'm more offended that anyone could think I'm that big a dunce that I'd fall for that shit.

2. From author Q&A: Mind boggling that after what is on TV these days, people have problem with Dani's age.

Mind boggling that the condescension never ends. We all know TV is filled with sexualized images and portrayals of teenagers. We know that teenagers are having sex. That doesn't mean it's appropriate fodder to be romanticized. Did you know that kids are not exercising while eating tons of junk and becoming diabetics at young ages? Squeeee, let's celebrate it! Give me a freakin' break.

3. I can't find the quote right now, but KMM said in another interview that Ryodan would be more epic than Barrons. WTF is that? Why does he have to be compared to Barrons at all? See, this is the problem: he's a trumped up middle manager who can't carry a story so he has to be sold off-page as something larger than the larger-than-life male lead of the prior series. It just makes me hate him more.

Sometimes I feel like some authors put stuff out there not only to challenge their readers but to see how much they'll take and even whole-heartedly support. Case in point, a reader debate on another forum. This was a discussion about Ryodan's physical abuse of Dani. This was what a Ryodan-supporting reader posted in response to other posters' concerns:

(view spoiler)

I have no frame of reference for that. My brain can't even process it as a positive. If this is what KMM is going for, I guess some readers are into it, but I will never be.

Clearly there are people who liked this story, some who liked it a lot. I am not in agreement, but nobody supports the right of individual opinion more than I. As I said, there were a couple of bright spots. How the author continues with this series will determine whether or not I stick or bolt, but I won't be buying the next book on release day or even that week. I will wait to see some reviews first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iced.

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

Naoms I'm still reading this, but so far I feel very strange about 1. the obsession with Dani and 2. What KMM has done to Christian who was a very great guy...

Beanbag Love Oops! I just saw this comment. I saw your review, Naoms, and I agreed with it. There's just something very wrong here. I'm having a hard time writing my review but I'm determined to get it done this weekend.

Naoms Beanbag wrote: "Oops! I just saw this comment. I saw your review, Naoms, and I agreed with it. There's just something very wrong here. I'm having a hard time writing my review but I'm determined to get it done thi..."

I hear you...I've been having lots of really disturbing conversations of ppl making excuses for the weird obsession with Dani. Like she's of childbearing age and how they didn't actually touch her or Ryodan is from a different time.....I'm real disturbed. I look forward to readin your review.

Beanbag Love Yeah, the people who try to make their case with "age of consent", "childbearing age", and "if you think teenagers aren't having sex you're stupid ..." are so totally missing the point it's like we're speaking different languages. And they're insulting the hell out of our intelligence besides.

Regina Agreed. Agreed.

Naoms YES! YES! YES! YES! :-) When i saw the alpha showdown i was APPALLED and embarrassed for everyone who voted for him.

Beanbag Love Naoms wrote: "YES! YES! YES! YES! :-) When i saw the alpha showdown i was APPALLED and embarrassed for everyone who voted for him."

Couldn't believe my eyes.

Regina He won?!!!

Beanbag Love I don't know. At last glance he seemed to be far ahead of the other guy.

I think people don't actually know what "alpha" means.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Well written, Bean. I've not read any of this series related books, so I have no frame of reference at all,,but based on your thoughts, I can completely understand why you're so disappointed with the book.

Beanbag Love Thanks, Dhes! I was seriously devoted to the Fever series. I started with paperbacks and I had post-it notes all through them, obsessing over theories and speculations. Now I have all of them on Kindle and, until Iced, I remained fully involved in this author. So this was a humongous let down for me.

I haven't even touched Fever since reading this and you know how I love to reread. A total bummer.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm torn about reading Fever, knowing how this book was met with such mixed reviews.

message 13: by Amanda (last edited Jun 02, 2013 11:20PM) (new)

Amanda UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "I'm torn about reading Fever, knowing how this book was met with such mixed reviews."

Dhes, u gotta read the fever series. i kid you not, there is a reason why Barron won the 1st Alpha showdown two years ago.

I don't really care for Iced, but the original Fever featuring Barron and Mac is my all time favorites.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish What is this Alpha Showdown?

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "What is this Alpha Showdown?"

is some kind of online voting contest that held by vampirebookclub.net annually since 2012.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Hmmm.... Sounds interesting! Has Zsadist won?

message 17: by Amanda (last edited Jun 02, 2013 11:51PM) (new)

Amanda UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "Hmmm.... Sounds interesting! Has Zsadist won?"

Zsadist was nominated, but lost out in the middle.

so far 2011 won by barron, 2012 by Curran from Kate Daniels series. since both time won by alpha male from a series, i guess it takes several books to capture such a big fan base.

message 18: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia thanks for the honest review. I am not sure if I want to read this book although I loved the Fever-series and Dani in it ...

Angela Fantastic review! You remind me that I need to write my review at some point too. You did a good job of outlining your problems with it, without falling into ranty behaviour (I know it was a worry) :)

Beanbag Love UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "I'm torn about reading Fever, knowing how this book was met with such mixed reviews."

Well, one of the things about this book is that it's so far down from the quality of the Fever series it's like a whole different thing. So you can take the Fever series for what it is and then decide if you want to try this. At this point you can probably get it at the library pretty easily and you won't even have to pay for it, which is a good thing.

Beanbag Love Claudia wrote: "thanks for the honest review. I am not sure if I want to read this book although I loved the Fever-series and Dani in it ..."

You might like it. Especially if you liked Dani in Fever. I stand by all my critiques so you can just take them as a heads up before you dive in. You may see things differently from me, a lot of people do. And, at this point, you can probably get it from the library without a waiting period so you can see what you think without having to pay for it.

Beanbag Love Angela wrote: "Fantastic review! You remind me that I need to write my review at some point too. You did a good job of outlining your problems with it, without falling into ranty behaviour (I know it was a worry):)"

Thanks! Took me long enough to put it all together. I just haven't been able to sit down and think about this one without getting ticked off again. ;D

Angela Yeah, every time I think about it I get mad. That's why I haven't written mine yet.

You did a great job detailing though. I'm gonna end up linking to your review.

Regina So who is still planning on reading the sequel? I am not going to.

Angela I'm waiting for reviews - from a few trusted friends that had the same issues I did. Definitely not buying it on release week.

Beanbag Love Angela wrote: "I'm waiting for reviews - from a few trusted friends that had the same issues I did. Definitely not buying it on release week."

That's what I'm doing. The scary thing is, though, are those trusted friends also going to wait for reviews? Are we all going to be sitting here staring at each other, waiting for one of us to take the bullet? ;D

message 27: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia Beanbag wrote: "Claudia wrote: "thanks for the honest review. I am not sure if I want to read this book although I loved the Fever-series and Dani in it ..."

You might like it. Especially if you liked Dani in Fev..."

and every review I read was not really enthusiastic

Angela LOLOL! I've talked with a couple of mine - and they're still going to buy it. One said she's too curious. ;) So I know for sure she'll get it and give it to me straight. I think you read her review too: JennyJenn?

Beanbag Love Claudia wrote: "we will see. as I said, I liked Dani in the series but for her own book in this setting without any delay I think she is young ...
and every review I read was not really enthusiastic
"

You could always wait until all three of the trilogy are out to see if it's worth bothering. The next two books may redeem it, ya never know. :)

Beanbag Love Angela wrote: "LOLOL! I've talked with a couple of mine - and they're still going to buy it. One said she's too curious. ;) So I know for sure she'll get it and give it to me straight. I think you read her review..."

I'll definitely look at JennyJenn's review. You can also tell a lot by what people who gave glowing reviews to this one say about the next one. If they're still on about the same things, then that tells you something.

Angela Yeah, absolutely! I haven't been able to stop thinking about this since I've read your review. I really think I'm going to have to get to this today LOL

Beanbag Love Angela wrote: "Yeah, absolutely! I haven't been able to stop thinking about this since I've read your review. I really think I'm going to have to get to this today LOL"

Yeah, it was all the pimping of the alpha showdown that finally triggered me. I couldn't let it sit any longer.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I appreciate your review, Bean. I haven't finished the Fever series yet, so I didn't read the spoilers. I am very much against sexualizing minors. There is way too much sexual pressure out there nowadays, and I hate arguments that everyone does it, so it should be okay, or whatever excuses there are.

Beanbag Love Exactly, Danielle. Enjoy Fever!

message 35: by Mell (new) - added it

Mell I feel exactly the same. I had to skim this book; reading it fully would've made me livid. I will pick up the next one because it's KMM, but I was seriously disappointed. I find nothing redeeming about Ryodan and Dani annoys me. I do like Dancer though, so I hope he is the one she ends up with, because that would be the least gross/infuriating option.

Naoms I am only going to continue, because i love Christian and kmm better fix him and give him a HEA that is satisfying and rings true.

Beanbag Love @Mell: I like Dancer too. He was the best thing in this book. The scenes he was in were the only scenes I enjoyed, pretty much. I will want to know what happens with him, but I'm not sure I can get through the Ryodan muck again. Are my skim skills good enough? I have my doubts.

@Naoms: Christian's future is also of interest to me, although I did NOT enjoy his scenes in this book. But, I will definitely want to know what happens with him.

Angela Bean - are you planning to read Burned?

Beanbag Love Angela wrote: "Bean - are you planning to read Burned?"

Eventually. Not the first week or so, maybe longer, but I'll probably get to it. I'm just really not excited about it at all. Even all the Mac/Barrons stuff. In fact, that's actually making me less excited because it seems desperate and possibly inorganic. JMO, of course.

Are you?

Angela Damn. I'm trying to wait until someone I sincerely trust (that felt the same about Iced) reads it. LOL :P

I'm not at all excited either. If you're not, I might just read it right away and be the guinea pig for the rest of my friends that are holding off. ;)

It's possible KMM has tainted the entire Fever series for me, but I guess we'll see.

Beanbag Love That's very brave of you. I'm for sure not going to buy release week. I won't have my purchase going toward list stats after all that's gone on.

I might be curious enough to jump in the second week, though.

Angela Ooh. Good point about release week.

Maybe I'll see if I can get on the library wait-list.

Beanbag Love Yeah, it would be nice to get it for free. ;)

Angela YES! Hmm.

I think I shall email the publisher and see if that's a possibility....

Beanbag Love I'm sure I'll have to buy it, but I don't mind having it. It took me so long to write this review, it was good to be able to go back and check some details.

message 46: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia ok ... I don't think I will read this one. As the Fever series is one of my favorites, I think, I am content with the first 5 books and the end we had there ...
I hate it when a series is spoiled ...