Doug Cannon's Reviews > O. Henry Prize Stories 2008

O. Henry Prize Stories 2008 by Laura Furman

901901
Jan 27, 2009

it was ok

The "O. Henry Prize Stories"? Is this the best they've got? I am sorely disappointed. If this O. Henry foundation is trying to tell me that these are the best stories written in 2008, then we've got very little going on.

I love O. Henry and his writing. His poorest stories are far and away better than any one of these, and I've read at least 30-40 of his stories.

Some of these stories are pretty good ( "What Do You Want to Know For?" by Alice Munro, and "Bad Neighbors" by Edward P. Jones, and the Musician and his parakeets was charming, but still lacking in my opinion), many others use vulgarity to add some kind of shock-value that the author is otherwise incapable of producing through creative writing.

Pretty disappointing so far. I've read about 8 of the stories, and I'd give 2 of them an "okay" rating (3 stars), but the rest get 1/2 of a star. I'll read the rest of the stories. Maybe I keep missing the good ones. Nope. Finished the book -- the stories didn't get better. Sorry world... O. Henry would die again if he knew this was being published in his name.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read O. Henry Prize Stories 2008.

message 1: by Delona (new)

Delona Upon first glance I thought you had given only two stars to O'Henry. I love his stories. For entertainment anyway.