Tara's Reviews > Crewel

Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Oct 30, 2012

liked it

I actually really liked this book! So now you are wondering why I gave it 3 stars, huh? Actually, it is because even though I liked the characters and found the plot to be inventive... I felt there were parts that seemed to be kind of plopped in and not really delved into. Since the idea was quite unique (at least to me), I felt that some more explanation could have been helpful.
One of favorite things about this book was the way the author made you not sure which character was worth trusting. I seemed to flip flop on whether the person was on her side or not, throughout the whole book (with the exception of Enora and Jost).
Another positive for the book and a reason I think that would be a good reason to try this book out is the way this dystopic world looked at women and marriage. I think it would be a fun book to discuss. In the world of Arras, women were mainly there to look good and serve men... unfortunately for men in the Guild, they did need some women to be spinsters and create the world in which they lived. There are really good themes about control and power throughout the book and those themes cross over similar themes that run through our political culture. Definitely a fun book to think about.
I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series... so curious on where Albin will go with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crewel.