S.W.'s Reviews > Escape From The Forbidden Planet

Escape From The Forbidden Planet by Julie Anne Grasso

bookshelves: middle-grade, owned, fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read October 30, 2012 to November 11, 2012.

What do you get when you mix elves, aliens and sugar? You get 'Escape From the Forbidden Planet'.

Caramel (such a delicious name for a character) is a young mind-reading elf who is on the verge of an important and exciting phase of her life. All is going well, she has a great family (royal actually), great friends and she is nervously looking forward to sitting her EATS (Elvin Ability Tests). Will she follow her dreams and become a healer? Or will she become a tree tender? Or maybe, she could be gifted enough to try for both.

I'm not one for spoilers, so the plot is secret :) and I'm not going to tell you too much about it (you'll need to read it yourself). Let's just say there are some cranky little aliens who have very different selfish plans, and they have a huge impact on our hero Caramel and her family.

Cardamom elves are very keen on 'sticky date and chocolate cake with caramel cardamom syrup'. This sweet obsession leads to an exciting discovery that has a huge impact on life of the cranky aliens, Caramel and all of the elfin folk. This is a fun story that takes the reader on a journey to many wonderful settings. From the lush rainforests of planet Cardamom to the Alien's HQ, and the surrounds of the mysterious forbidden planet.

Helped out by some new friends, Caramel must call upon her unique abilities to right the wrongs of the sneaky aliens and set everything straight. This story has plenty of interesting twists, tasty turns and an action-filled climax.

Given that the heroine is a spirited young elf, I'd imagine that young girls would love this story. Once my daughter is a little older and ready for chapter books, I'll be happy to give her this one to read. I'm sure that she will enjoy it.

Note: I don't claim to be a pro-reviewer, I am a reader. My reviews are based on my personal thoughts around the story that the book is trying to tell. I'd rather focus on the story (which is the reason I read) rather than dissect the book and pass comment on writing style, structure or typos.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape From The Forbidden Planet.

Quotes S.W. Liked

Julie Anne Grasso
“Her courage seemed to collapse around her ankles like an old pair of elastic undies”
Julie Anne Grasso, Escape From The Forbidden Planet

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
October 7, 2012 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
October 30, 2012 – Started Reading
November 6, 2012 –
November 7, 2012 –
November 8, 2012 –
100.0% "Review soon :)"
November 11, 2012 – Shelved as: middle-grade (Kindle Edition)
November 11, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy (Kindle Edition)
November 11, 2012 – Finished Reading