Joanna Bastian's Reviews > Before Women Had Wings

Before Women Had Wings by Connie May Fowler

"Details are what I'm about - stacks and stacks of details - the bones of my family, calcified vessels, the marrow chock-full of wishes and regrets. In my mind I pick up the bones one by one - a leg bone, a hip, then a spine that looks like a witch's ladder. Before you know it, this skeleton made of memories is rattling me."
So begins the tale of a six year old girl in 1965 Florida. The tale is rich in details that convey the stifling humidity, the salty scents, and the ring of the cidadas. Avocet Abigal Jackson tells her story of finding her own wings while trying to be strong for a family that has lost it's bearings. The imagery is vivid, the writing captivating.
I loved loved loved this tale and couldn't put the book down. I found this book on an airline, in the seat pocket. There is a name and address on a slip of paper that fell into my lap when I reached page 143. I am considering one of two options:
A) Sending the book to that address along with a note of appreciation for letting me 'discover' it.
B) Leaving the book on another flight for someone else to discover it, and then sending a thank you note to the address I found in the book.
What would you do with a phenomenal book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before Women Had Wings.

Finished Reading
October 29, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Wally Wells B, for sure!! Pay it forward with a grateful heart to the one who did the same for you.

message 2: by Zelda (new) - added it

Zelda Reben What did you end up doing with it?