C.D. Coffelt's Reviews > Disciple

Disciple by L. Blankenship

Oct 29, 2012

bookshelves: a-rare-book

It begins like a slow burning fuse, sparks and flares that compel the reader to turn the page. A bond forms and twines us to Kate from the start. Tension builds and I expected a good storyline but still, I was lulled into approaching the peak of the volcano. I mean heat and the rumbles under my feet doesn’t mean it’s about to blow, right?

Then the story exploded catching me in the lava. And I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough after that.

I am one of the fortunate few who've read the fourth in this series of six and lemme tell ya Writers, this is the Real Deal. It only gets better. And if you live and breathe Fantasy as I do, you won’t be disappointed.

Worldbuilding. LB is the master here, written so well that you’d swear she’d teleported/time traveled into her world for a firsthand look.

Easy reading. As a writer, you’ll appreciate the quick pace and building tension. But easy to read also.

Genre. Call Disciple hard fantasy, epic, or ‘Gritty Fantasy Romance’, the key word here is ‘fantasy’. It is set in the medieval world of horses, castles, battlements, and kings. It might fit the sub-genre of Swords and Sorcery but that is debatable.

Summary. For Want of a Piglet is the first in the series of Disciple, L. Blankenship’s fantasy novel. It is rare day when I experience a full gamut of emotions after reading a tome, but this one has it all; mourning a character’s demise, anger at another’s attitude, worry when I realize no one is safe. This is the book that you can’t put down. This is the book that makes you blurry-eyed the next day at work from reading until 2 am.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disciple.