Kristin's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

it was ok
bookshelves: books-i-own

I had such a weird experience with this book that I kind of wish I could start all over. Maybe I will reread this in a couple of years and enjoy it a lot more?

Months ago, I started listening to The Graveyard Book as an audiobook through my library's Hoopla service. I couldn't get into the story, and I basically had to force myself to sit down and listen. It was one of my first experiences with audiobooks, so I thought that maybe I just wasn't an audiobook person. I only made it halfway through. Recently I saw the book for just a few dollars on Book Outlet and decided to get it and finally finish it.

So I did finish it. (Remarkably quicker than I would have by listening to it, too, ha.) And it was just okay. The plot is pretty random, the writing isn't particularly special, and while a few parts were memorable, the book just feels disjointed and a little dull. I know that so many people love this book, and I thought I would too! Honestly, this seems to be a common thread with me with Neil Gaiman's books. I love the idea of them, they seem like ones that I would love, but so far I've been disappointed. (I've only read a few of his children's books, none of his adult ones.)

I don't know what else to say. Maybe I'll like it more as a reread.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

October 29, 2012 – Shelved
May 14, 2016 – Started Reading
May 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 14, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "Trying this audiobook thing again."
May 24, 2016 –
June 3, 2016 –
June 25, 2016 –
September 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 24, 2016 – Shelved as: books-i-own
November 1, 2016 –
page 166
50.76% "Picking up in the physical book where I left off in the audiobook a couple of months ago. Maybe now I'll finally finish this?"
November 3, 2016 – Finished Reading