Betty's Reviews > The Rosary and the Badge

The Rosary and the Badge by Jerry Sacher

F 50x66
Oct 29, 2012

Jerry Sacher reaches beyond the m/m genre, and brings something personal into his work. He writes with a clear, sophisticated, almost classical style. This sequel to Sacher's first work is no exception. Like the first in the series, I had a difficult time putting the novel down. The clean thread of story logic and prose kept me turning page after page.
Sacher is one of those gifted gay male writers who might possibly go over the heads of het women who exclusively read gay male romances. There is an almost anger directed at him by female readers who refuse to acknowledge that the gay subculture is often responsible for its own problems. Het women readers of m/m romance seem to want their gay male characters hot and victimized by Christian America. Sometimes, gay men ARE Christian, sometimes they aren't about emulating pop culture, and sometimes the villains are closer to home--those who say "I love you."
If you don't look at gay men as 2D props to stroke your ego, then this penetrating and well-written novel is for you. I highly recommend this and Sacher's first novel, The Saint of San Francisco. I can't wait to read more of Sacher's novels.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rosary and the Badge.