Kelly's Reviews > Jellicoe Road

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Jan 26, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: ya-fiction, read-in-2009

** spoiler alert ** I don't get the hype, really. I didn't find the characters compelling or interesting. To be totally honest, I thought it was quite predictable. Although I clearly didn't figure out *everything* at the end, I knew from page 5 that the characters in the manuscript were somehow the ones acting in Taylor's history. So, that said, no shock.

I thought that there was no reason to care about Taylor. We know little about her for 300 pages, except that she's got mommy fixation. Even in the end, I still didn't care about Taylor nor understand why I should care about her.

I felt like the last 100 pages were the best in the book in terms of writing, action, and story. I wish a lot at the start could have been cut OR could have been better fleshed out in terms of character development. I think there were too many characters without any defining features who just became names to me.

All of that said, I think this book definitely would have its readers. I think a lot of reluctant readers would have a hard time with this one because it requires reading the whole book. I think it might even require two readings. In terms of writing, Marchetta can paint some nice images for sure. She can also paint quite brutal ones. Sensitive readers might be put off by this one, since it's quite brutal in parts. Alas, the book earns a 3 star because I might, in the future, reread it to see if I missed something. If a book I don't care for a whole lot can compel me to consider rereading, then maybe something's there.

I'm not quite sure why this one, out of many other great contenders, achieved the Prinz. But, I'm also not on the committee :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jellicoe Road.

Finished Reading
January 26, 2009 – Shelved
March 1, 2009 –
page 55
page 105
25.06% "This will be a hard sell to teens. 100 pages in and I'm still not convinced. I keep going simply b/c I've been told to."
page 200
47.73% "I'm REALLY having a hard time with this."
page 230
54.89% "Still skeptical. Will finish."
page 300
71.6% "I still don't care about the characters. And I think I figured it out. On page 4...Maybe I'm inept at experiencing surprise and suspense?"
March 3, 2009 – Shelved as: ya-fiction