Rajat TWIT's Reviews > Chanakya's Chant

Chanakya's Chant by Ashwin Sanghi

did not like it

Starting with the wrong political map of India, this book had given me enough reasons to hate it. I wanted to stop by the time I was on 100th page but carried on just to observe how irritating this book might go. And it topped the list of the most stupid book I have ever read. Businessmen of Mauryan age are shown SHAMPOOING but in reality, the process CHAMPI (etymology of shampoo has this word in centre) was evolved during Mughal reigns and term/method of Shampoo came in existence in 18th century. Chankya is shown using language which is not only filthy but extremely down market. Imagine a scholar of such repute using hindi equivalent of terms like Rat’s ass, Horse’s shit, Camel’s fart. Agreed that the book is in English, but then also the revered academician, master strategician and renowned pandit will never ever use such foul language.
And not only words spoken by chankaya’s character but the whole book’s language is very shabby and distasteful. You will find feeling of deja vu in many expressions and idioms. Redundancy made it unbearable to read. Usage of good words is limited and there is no depth in the characters of story. The characters are so shallow that you will feel no connection with any of them, even the lead characters of both stories. Time frame of current story has got many irregularities and it was hilarious to read the way Gangasagar makes plans to introduce Ikrambhai in politics and makes him CM of UP in the very next elections. And he decides who will be next Prime Minister almost by will according to the situation and never gets any trouble in executing his plans. Although starting his career as a simpleton guy he manages to get influential friends in US and Britain and in high posts of all important departments. He grooms and makes the fate of student leaders and manages to put them in such posts like Governor of RBI and blah blah blah……… and just read the extremely abrupt end on Chankya’s story. It’s so confusing that you will be left wondering whatever the hell happened.
Usage of wonderful quotes and saying by great people are the only point to be lauded, but then in this age of information it is rarely a problem to read such quotes. We have enough self-help books in case you are not net savvy! Single star rating that I gave is just because of these quotes.
This book is cheaper than the B grade Bollywood movie. No wonders its heavy sales has made UTV to buy the rights of this book. Because as said by Charles McCabe (also used in this book): any clod can have the facts, having an opinion is an art!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chanakya's Chant.

October 28, 2012 – Shelved
October 30, 2012 – Started Reading
November 1, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Bikas nayak this is the best review of this stupid book i have seen on this site.you nailed it.

Rajat TWIT Finally some support! Thanks a lot Bikas, else i was forced to think that it's only me who hated this stupid-cum-idiotic book!!

Aditi Well said! To the point

message 4: by Wv (new) - rated it 1 star

Wv Well said son, unfortunately such authors are set to proliferate in the near future.

Richa Totally agree

message 6: by Abhishek (new)

Abhishek Bansal gangasagar part is hopeless.He has made chanakya a southindian actor.

Surender Negi I agree I am on page 330, and its seems like chankya is some crook of dhanbaad coal mine and gangasagar is reason of all political mess in UP. I wish no politician adopt such method after reading this.

message 8: by Rutujaa (new)

Rutujaa A I can't believe such language is used in this book let alone Chanakya using it..won't bother now reading this..

message 9: by Sakthi (new) - added it