Heather B (Owlnestly Reviews)'s Reviews > Of Light and Darkness

Of Light and Darkness by Shayne Leighton

Owlnestly Book Reviews

I found this book to be quite refreshing. It was everything that I looked for in my reading, but with twists that were unexpected and exhilarating. I loved the fact that the vampires didn't sparkle, and did exactly what vampire should do, which is be a vampire. Shayne didn't try to make the vampires attractive to teenage girls, but they still seemed to be. I have always been attracted to the concept of immortal beings that are dark and misunderstood, but maybe don't really want to be understood. Shayne presented this concept in a brand new light. I have read numerous books on vampires and supernatural beings but I found this one to be the most unique out of all of them.

The imagery presented in this book is brilliant, I felt like I was in the Occult City with the characters in the book. The main character Charlotte was dynamic and became a little heroine in the end even if at times she was a bit of a damsel in distress. She knew how to hold her own, but she still liked the help of her love Valek. The only thing that really bugged me in the story was the premise of Valek being Charlotte's fatherly figure and then becoming a love interest. I soon moved past this little quirk because I felt that the rest of the plot made up for it. I also figured that this was just another one of those unique aspects of this book that I hadn't seen in others.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I am eagerly waiting for the next one. Will you join the Occult City?

owlnestlyreviews.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Light and Darkness.

Finished Reading