Ilhem's Reviews > Gives Light

Gives Light by Rose Christo

bookshelves: m-m, sid-love

This story is about Skylar Saint Clair whose laughs are soundless and who speaks with his smiles, who’s cheeky and open-hearted; about Rafael Gives Light, whose father ”liked hurting women”, who draws gifts for the dead, who’s fierce and protective, and can read Skylar’s face. It’s about them gaining something beautiful and positive out of something ugly and terrifying.

”[…] Rafael pushed me up against the wall and kissed me, hard and wanting and fierce, filled to the brim with emotions that spilled other, and I held him close, and anchored him to me, anchoring him to earth.”

From serial killer’s victim and son, they become buddies, boyfriends and members of a pack of friends, they bring each other solace and balance, and are on their way of finding their place in a world they’re attuned to.

I agree with Elizabetta that the author’s voice took precedence over her character’s, there were moments when I longed for Rafael’s POV, for duality and excitement; it is a little one-sided too. I loved it and fell for Skylar and Rafael all the same.

“Gives Light” is a lovely story that speaks of the Plains people and of harmony.

This was a buddy read with Elizabetta for The Blog of Sid Love

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gives Light.

October 28, 2012 – Shelved
September 8, 2013 – Started Reading
September 12, 2013 –
September 14, 2013 – Finished Reading
September 19, 2013 – Shelved as: m-m
September 19, 2013 – Shelved as: sid-love

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Laura :) Hope you like it, Ilhem. Happy reading.

Ilhem thanks Laura. I'm enjoying it so far.:)

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy enjoyed your review Ilhem

Ilhem Joy wrote: "enjoyed your review Ilhem"

thank you Joy.:)

Ilhem deirdre wrote: "Great review!!! Now this has me curious . . . ."

Thanks Deirdre. Oh, you're going to love it!

Baba  I am pleasantly surprised, Ilhem. I thought you wouldn't like it because it took you so long to finish it. In my book, that's never a good sign. :)
Great review ma chère! :))

Ilhem RL got a lot in the way.:)

Baba  Ilhem wrote: "RL got a lot in the way.:)"

Ah, real life is a bitch. :)

Ilhem Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Ilhem wrote: "RL got a lot in the way.:)"

Ah, real life is a bitch. :)"

She is. BUT I conquered finally!:D

Baba  Ilhem wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Ilhem wrote: "RL got a lot in the way.:)"

Ah, real life is a bitch. :)"

She is. BUT I conquered finally!:D"

Good!! :))

Elizabetta How did I miss your review? Nice job :)

Ilhem Hello you! Thanks.:)