Laura's Reviews > The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Jan 25, 2009

Recommended to Laura by: Casey
Read in January, 2009

Larsson keeps up the terrific thriller and suspense work he started in 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,' even though that had to be one tough act to follow! I ordered the British edition of this second novel of Larsson's Milennium trilogy from Amazon.uk. No way could I wait until September 2009 and the American release of the book for my second Lisbeth Salander, Mikael Blomkvist fix!
Here Lisbeth Salander is in another boatload of trouble (of course), though she's richer and dresses a little better than she used to. Mikael doesn't have it so good, either, but it's two of his colleagues who suffer the worst, most horrific fate. Actually, horror visits just about everybody in the book, but that's Larsson for you.
Not only do we get a whole new plot, with intricacies galore in this second book, but we see our favorite characters evolve and deepen in complexity. We get new villains and we are revisited by some of the old ones. (Who knew Stockholm, city of majesty, light, and elegance, had such a nether side? Drugs, murder, political corruption, prostitution, rape--Stockholm's got it all.)
Because I can't say much about the plot without giving it away, I'll just say that this is a fantastic read, maybe just one smidgeon less engrossing than 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," but still guaranteed to make you stop everything else in life to finish it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Played with Fire.