LJ's Reviews > Playing God: A Joe Burgess Mystery

Playing God by Kate Flora

Aug 12, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, police_procedural, maine, contemporary_post_1945, female_author
Read in February, 2007

PLAYING GOD (Police Proc-Maine-Cont) – G+
Flora, Kate – 1st in series
Five Star, 2006- US Hardcover – ISBN: 1594144613
*** When a man is found dead in his locked car with his clothes undone and a rod shoved down his throat, Sergeant Joe Burgess is called in to investigate. The victim is prominent radiologist Dr. Steven Pleasant, who mistreated Joe’s mother. Pleasant’s name is a misnomer as Joe finds the victim had a penchant for prostitutes, selling prescription drugs, mistreating other patients and only caring about money. But Joe is a dedicated cop and, in spite of his boss demanding Joe treads lightly among the town’s powerful, he is determined to uncover the killer no matter who is implicated.
*** This is the first book I’ve read by Flora and I enjoyed it. I liked the character of Joe, he made sense. He’s absolutely dedicated to his job, occasionally beyond the point of reason and in spite of his personal feelings about the victim. There are interesting supporting characters to keep things in balance. The plot kept me interested all the way through. The author made good use of the setting and has a good ear for dialogue. The suspense was good and the ending was effective. I am looking forward to reading more by Ms. Flora.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing God.