Denna's Reviews > DaR

DaR by Jennifer Julie Miller

liked it

I really, really wanted to give this book five stars. If it had gone through another round of editing or two, it would have definitely deserved it. The story itself is fast moving and fun, the characters interesting. I loved the idea of an older heroine for a change. I didn’t care for the added sketches of these characters. I would rather leave that part to my imagination. I believe any reader of sci-fi romance is probably going to love this story, but only if they can overlook a few problems that could easily be fixed with a good editor. Most annoying were the numerous misplaced commas that gave the reading a bad hiccup. I actually got used to glossing over them, but they do need to be corrected.

Looking back after I finished the story, there were other details that would have kept me from giving it a full five stars. Timeline is off in places, and some details about the aliens needed explained better. Though they intrigued me, I felt like I was just picking up an outline of these characters. I wanted more detail, more world building. Again, a good editor would catch these spots. It wouldn’t take much to correct them and would make the story so much richer. The ending was rushed and left me a bit disappointed. I felt like we bypassed some of the best parts to set up future books. Anyway, this is just my opinion. I am picking up the next one through KU in hopes the editing is better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read DaR.

December 31, 2021 – Started Reading