Amy Li's Reviews > This Dark Endeavor

This Dark Endeavor by Kenneth Oppel

F 50x66
Oct 26, 2012

Playing with Alchemy Means Putting your Life on the Line : A Book Review on This Dark Endeavor

This Dark Endeavor
Simon & Schuster Books, 2011, 304 pp., $17.99
Kenneth Oppel ISBN 1442403152

How much are you able to sacrifice for the person who is the most important to you? In the book, This Dark Endeavor, Victor and Konrad Frankenstein are twins. But one day Konrad falls sick with an illness that doctors can’t identify. Selfish deep desires, will only cross your path as you go deeper into the book.

Kenneth Oppel publishes a story of how our deep desires can become our deepest nightmares in the book, This Dark Endeavor. In this book you accompany Victor, the younger twin, to find a cure for his brother Konrad. Konrad’s been with him since birth, and always had been the smarter one and the better “him”. Facing dangerous choices, alchemy, and a “bitter love triangle”, what will he do? He has to find a way to help his brother soon or else it will be too late for anyone to save him anymore. This book is a young adult, horror, and fiction book. This is a prequel to Mary Shelley’s book Frankenstein. The suspense is just heart wreaking, and made me just unable to put down this book. The author does a great job retelling the beginning of Frankenstein.

When the book was coming to an end, I was so disappointed that it had reached its dead end. This causes you to crave for more. This book was based on Frankenstein, a classic by Mary Shelley and in her book she gives a story of her very own. The book was fast pacing and exciting, with a great sense of adventure. I recommend this book to teens of any gender and believe you will be greatly satisfied with it. I've read many books, but this one got to be one of top my favorites, and one that I really loved. Read it to believe it.

Trust me on this, this book will really bring out the dark desires, bringing you along on a journey. When you read this book you will be trapped within your own “obsessions.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Dark Endeavor.