Jonathan's Reviews > Catching Bullets: Memoirs of a Bond Fan

Catching Bullets by Mark O'Connell

As someone with a shelf filled with Bond books, my standards are pretty high when it comes to any new arrivals. A bit like when Pierce Brosnan was replaced by Daniel Craig.

Thankfully Catching Bullets is the best Bond book to have been published in many a year, a fresh insight into a film series which has been analysed to death by scholars, critics and bloggers over the years.

The author brings a fans-eye-view to 22 of the films (Skyfall hadn't been released at the time of publication) and recalls where he was when he saw each of them. Whether watching them on ITV at Christmas, on VHS or at a special screening hosted by Eon Productions (O'Connell's grandad, Jimmy, was chauffeur to Cubby Brocolli), we follow him as both he and the series mature.

Each film is analysed in detail, with an enthusiasm that will send every jaded fan back to their DVDs and Blu-rays with renewed vigour.

One of the finest books I've read in a long time in any genre, Catching Bullets will help you remember why you became a Bond fan in the first place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Bullets.

Started Reading