Patty O.'s Reviews > My People

My People by Langston Hughes

U 50x66

bookshelves: award-winning, multicultural, picture-book

There are times that looking through a set of photographs could tell a whole story, this is the case with the Coretta Scott King award winning book My People written by Langston Hughes and photographs by Charles R. Smith Jr. In just thirty three words Hughes recites his poem My People and his beautiful words are accompanied by with great photographs of African Americans, which range from kids to adults. Throughout the poem he is emphasizes how beautiful his people are, “The night is beautiful, so the faces of my people”. He has these great words along with great photographs by Smith that are definitely award winning material. The cover page and first photograph of the book is probably one of the most empowering pictures in the whole book. It’s the face of a little African American child, looking up with that same face that many children of all races and backgrounds get when they seem hopeful and enlightened. Another great photograph is the one where there’s children seem to be so free and energetic with the words “are the souls” across the page. The photograph how much soul a person could have it doesn’t matter the age or gender.
This book overall is good one because of it’s uniqueness and the message it gives that not just the African American race is beautiful but they all are, even though it’s not stated in the book. Personally when looking through the book, I enjoyed the book because it gives you a perspective at someone else’s race and their people but it also makes you think about your own people and what makes your own people beautiful. Though it makes you think of your own people, you also get to know and see how proud Hughes is of his own culture and people.
As for teacher unit possibilities, I believe that multi cultural learning should be taught year round and not just when it’s “Black History month” or “Hispanic Heritage month” cultures and races should be acknowledged year round and teachers should have time to show children beautiful books like this one to children all year. It’s a great book great text and vivid photographs and a great representation of the culture. I really enjoyed this book and think many others, especially children of all races, will too and find it beautiful.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My People.

Finished Reading