Jeff 's Reviews > East of Eden

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

bookshelves: buddy-reads, cuz-mah-fah-says-so, stuff-they-make-you-read-in-school

“Timshel”

It’s the Hebrew word meaning “thou mayest” and is the lynch pin concept that this glorious novel swirls around – basically, we as humans have the power to choose our paths in life, whether it’s to be good or evil or somewhere in between.

This isn’t the perfect book, but it’s sort of like a beautiful woman, who has a chip in her front tooth, the imperfection is there to heighten the beauty around it, not detract from it. Steinbeck has arguably never been better; the description (read: info dump) of the Salinas Valley that starts this book is readable and how often can anyone say that.

Mixing biblical metaphors with the happenings of two disparate families – one reasonably content and productive, the other never quite getting themselves together and as a consequence forever struggling with their inner demons and inherent inadequacies.

The book is not without humor, but it’s the drama and pathos that will leave you wrecked. The tear-jerker of an ending is one of the best I’ve ever read.

The film with James Dean, although good, doesn’t really do this sprawling book justice, plus Julie Harris was horribly miscast as Abra.

This is the best book about an evil psychopathic hooker by a Nobel Prize winner ever written! So kudos Mr. Steinbeck for writing the best book I’ve read in quite a while.

This was a buddy ready with my thunder buddy (reader) for life: Stepheny.

Literature comes alive and who wouldn’t give over a Nobel Prize for this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East of Eden.

October 26, 2012 – Shelved
June 1, 2017 – Started Reading
June 1, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% " POW! SOCKO! SNIKT!

Mah Fah approved and Hulk certified Buddy Read of East of Eden. To begin sometime around June 19. Probably. Mayhap. We’ll see…

Bonus content: Evil hookers!!"
June 19, 2017 –
page 55
9.15% "Adam embraces the hobo lifestyle.

Sponge baths are optional.

June 20, 2017 –
page 86
14.31% "Steinbeck plays the “bad seed” card to great effect.

Note to Cathy’s parents: You should have slept with one eye open.

Question: Is Goodreads in the habit of deleting "offensive" updates? My previous Deadpool update: gone, disappeared, vanished."
June 23, 2017 –
page 100
16.64% "I’ll put Cathy Ames up against any other evil/manipulative/crazy female character in literature.

Lady Macbeth? Annie Wilkes?

My money’s on you! You go, girl!!

June 27, 2017 –
page 120
19.97% "Didn’t see the whole pistol packin’ mama thing coming.

June 28, 2017 –
page 220
36.61% "Steinbeck provides a lesson in brothels: Hookers 101, if you will.

July 5, 2017 –
page 256
42.6% "Hot damn! Kate/Cathy is the epitome of evil genius. Her scheming knows no bounds. All she’s missing is the random hooker monologuing.

July 12, 2017 –
page 384
63.89% "Mrs. Hamilton now has a cussing parrot.

July 18, 2017 –
page 486
80.87% "Cal, for such a selfless act, get ready for a kick in the Trask family jewels.

March 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)

Stepheny A most excellent review for a most excellent book by a most excellent MahFah.

Well done, sir.

Jeff Thank you, Ms. Thunder Buddy!!

Nobody writes mean, crazy-assed hookers like Steinbeck. Nobody.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Oh Julie Harris was the worst! THE. WORST. I. TELL. YOU.

message 4: by Jeff (last edited Mar 13, 2018 08:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff What, Marilyn Monroe or Jayne Mansfield weren't around?

Hollywood still casts thirty-plus year olds as teen agers!

Stepheny Jeff wrote: "Thank you, Ms. Thunder Buddy!!

Nobody writes mean, crazy-assed hookers like Steinbeck. Nobody."

Aye. You say true, Gunslinger.

message 6: by Trish (new)

Trish Wow, you loved a classic! This has got to be good then - like REALLY good. ;P

Jeff Trish wrote: "Wow, you loved a classic! This has got to be good then - like REALLY good. ;P"

LOL! It's been so long since I've given any book five stars...

message 8: by Trish (new)

Trish Jeff wrote: "Trish wrote: "Wow, you loved a classic! This has got to be good then - like REALLY good. ;P"

LOL! It's been so long since I've given any book five stars..."

Indeed! I was quite shocked and first thought it might have been another GR bug. *lol*

Stepheny Jeff wrote:

LOL! It's been so long since I've given any book five stars..."

That's because you haven't read Harry Potter....Those are all 5 stars. :)

Jeff Stepheny wrote: "Jeff wrote:

LOL! It's been so long since I've given any book five stars..."

That's because you haven't read Harry Potter....Those are all 5 stars. :)"

*spits black tea*

My pants are now roont!

Stepheny A perfect excuse to stay inside and read HP :D

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Awesome review, Jeff!

Jeff Thank you, Diane! It's a terrific book.

message 14: by Dennis (new) - added it

Dennis I loved the movie but am still tip toeing around this book. I'm a little afraid here. 😓

Jeff Don't be, Dennis. Steinbeck is fairly accessible and this is probably his best book.

message 16: by Dennis (new) - added it

Dennis Thanks Jeff!
But what I'm fearing for, actually, is my admiration of the movie. Will it be damaged beyond repair after reading the book? And if not, did the book not meet my expectations then?

I think, I really should put my act together now.
This is probably just a case of Well, I figured, what the hell.

Jeff The movie only covers the last half of the book and then only focuses on the Trask family, so there's lots unexplored story that isn't available in the film, only in the book.

The film is a good one, but the book is a richer, more rewarding experience.

message 18: by Trish (new)

Trish Dennis, put your big-boy-pants on and just read it. *puts hands on hips*

message 19: by Dennis (new) - added it

Dennis Okay, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the encouragement! (In your case, Trish, just envision some air quotes here)

message 20: by Trish (new)

Trish Well, it gets the job done, obviously. With air quotes or without. *sticks out tongue* Just ask jeff what "motivational measures" I use when he's mean to me. All I'll say is ginger kittens. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Stepheny Dennis wrote: "I loved the movie but am still tip toeing around this book. I'm a little afraid here. 😓"

Find yourself a buddy and team up on it. I think it's a great book to read with someone else and discuss/analyze together! SO worth it.

message 22: by Dennis (last edited Mar 14, 2018 06:48AM) (new) - added it

Dennis Trish wrote: "Well, it gets the job done, obviously. With air quotes or without. *sticks out tongue* Just ask jeff what "motivational measures" I use when he's mean to me. All I'll say is ginger kittens. BWAHAHA..."

But I haven't been mean to you since... I don't know... yesterday probably? It seems like forever.

Stepheny Dennis wrote: "Okay, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the encouragement! (In your case, Trish, just envision some air quotes here)"

You won't regret it. Do what I do with book/movie adaptations and try to just appreciate each for what they are. Some things don't translate to the big screen and there for can't be added in. If I look at the Shining as a book-to-movie adaptation it makes me feel all sorts of stabby. BUT if I gently remind myself that a movie is merely someone's interpretation of a book, I calm down. LOL My love of the book is one thing and I can always come back to the original source. I enjoy the movie for what it is. :) Hope this helps!

Jeff Stepheny wrote: "Dennis wrote: "I loved the movie but am still tip toeing around this book. I'm a little afraid here. 😓"

It has an evil, psychotic, bitey hooker. Nuff said.

Stepheny Jeff wrote: "Stepheny wrote: "Dennis wrote: "I loved the movie but am still tip toeing around this book. I'm a little afraid here. 😓"

Find yourself a buddy and team up on it. I think it's a great book to read ..."

With sharp teeth. *shudders*

(and it takes a LOT to make me shudder)

Jeff Plus the aforementioned violent evil hooker pretty much runs the revenge scheme gamut, which makes it a valuable resource.

message 27: by Dennis (new) - added it

Dennis Stepheny wrote: "Dennis wrote: "I loved the movie but am still tip toeing around this book. I'm a little afraid here. 😓"

Thanks for the advice, Stepheny! Let's see if I can think of someone. :)

Stepheny Jeff wrote: "Plus the aforementioned violent evil hooker pretty much runs the revenge scheme gamut, which makes it a valuable resource."

This is true. :D

Stepheny Dennis wrote: "Stepheny wrote: "Dennis wrote: "I loved the movie but am still tip toeing around this book. I'm a little afraid here. 😓"

Find yourself a buddy and team up on it. I think it's a great book to read ..."

You're most welcome! Best of luck. Either way, you will enjoy it. :)

message 30: by Trish (last edited Mar 14, 2018 07:16AM) (new)

Trish That sounds as if you better enjoy it, Dennis, or she'll make you. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I missed you, Steph!

message 31: by Dennis (new) - added it

Dennis Trish wrote: "That sounds as if you better enjoy it, Dennis, or she'll make you. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I missed you, Steph!"

She'll make me? I really don't have the foggiest fuck... Did you stroke out there? Or is it just my English again?

Jeff If anyone is going to compel you by force to read something, my money is on Trish...

message 33: by Dennis (new) - added it

Dennis Oh, she'll make me enjoy it . *lol*
This took me a while. Now I deserve all the punishment, that's surely to come.

Stepheny Jeff wrote: "If anyone is going to compel you by force to read something, my money is on Trish..."

I can be pretty persuasive myself....

Jeff Stepheny wrote: "Jeff wrote: "If anyone is going to compel you by force to read something, my money is on Trish..."

I can be pretty persuasive myself...."

I am acutely aware of that fact...

*says it like he means it*

Stepheny You should be. Spending months years locked in my basement with Sai Kin should have taught you a few things. :)

message 37: by Trish (new)

Trish Now imagine how bad it's gonna be if Steph and I team up to make Jeff read Harry Potter. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

@Dennis: I shall enjoy taking my revenge presently.

Stepheny Trish wrote: "Now imagine how bad it's gonna be if Steph and I team up to make Jeff read Harry Potter. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

@Dennis: I shall enjoy taking my revenge presently."

OMG CAN WE?

message 39: by Trish (new)

Trish What do you mean CAN WE?! Of course we can!!! Between you and me (and don't forget the audiobook of Quidditch Through The Ages coming out tomorrow), nothing's impossible. :D

message 40: by Dennis (new) - added it

Dennis I love how this whole conversation turned from Trish forcing me to read a book to Jeff being forced by both of you to read Harry Potter.

*backs away again*

message 41: by Trish (new)

Trish Dennis wrote: "I love how this whole conversation turned from Trish forcing me to read a book to Jeff being forced by both of you to read Harry Potter.

*backs away again*"

Oh, he has it coming. But don't think I've forgotten you. *evil grin*

Stepheny I've been pretty easy on Jeff on the HP front. So, he should expect this. :)

message 43: by Trish (new)

Trish Stepheny wrote: "I've been pretty easy on Jeff on the HP front. So, he should expect this. :)"

Wouldn't an audiobook the length of FB or Quidditch be the perfect start? *wiggles eyebrows*

Stepheny lolol

Jeff *sigh*

The mention of a wand at the end The Dark Tower review was my way of sending a little <3 to my favorite Mah Fah and in no way a admission of my desire to read the Harry Potter books any time soon. ;)

Although never say never or Maybe or perhaps..

message 46: by Trish (new)

Trish I prefer the word "definitely".

Stepheny Jeff wrote: "*sigh*

The mention of a wand at the end The Dark Tower review was my way of sending a little <3 to my favorite Mah Fah and a way to express my desire to read the Harry Potter books as soon as humanly possible..."

You may want to re-read what you wrote there. ;)

Jeff Stepheny wrote: "Jeff wrote: "*sigh*

You may want to re-read what you wrote there. ;)"

*spews water*

Re-editing comments for the win. :)

message 49: by Trish (new)

Trish No no no no no! Don't edit!!! It was perfect the way it was! :D

Stepheny Jeff wrote: "Stepheny wrote: "Jeff wrote: "*sigh*

You may want to re-read what you wrote there. ;)"

*spews water*

Re-e..."

I'll be here all night, folks.

« previous 1