Jonathan Woodward's Reviews > The Cost of Discipleship

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

liked it

Within the first few pages of the first chapter, I fell in love with this book. The first chapter, entitled “Costly Grace,” caught me hook, line, and sinker. This is not to say, however, that Bonhoeffer keeps me fastened to his words. Actually, quite the opposite happens. I find that his thoughts become repetitive, and unnecessarily provocative. Themes are repeated over and over. This is not to say that The Cost of Discipleship does not offer a good read, rather it was unnecessarily repetitive in areas I thought Bonhoeffer had made his point already.

Bonhoeffer also is rather liberal in his theology. Many people refer to Bonhoeffer without knowing the truth of his theology. He didn't believe in a risen Christ, but that the Christians themselves were the only Christ there now is. He did not believe in an ontological resurrection of Jesus. The only resurrection that Bonhoeffer actually believes in is the "resurrection" of the heart.

The only reason I did no rate it 2 out of 5 is because if I did, I think I would be judging out of hostility toward it. As it stands, his writing is thought provoking and I did learn from reading this book. I would not, however, recommend this book to a new believer, or one who is unsure about his theological convictions. This would be something good to read for someone who has a solid conviction of his own theological worldview.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cost of Discipleship.

Finished Reading
October 24, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Stephanie Scott Do you have sources for his liberal theology? I've hear other things about him, such as adherents of "death of God" theology giving him a lot of credit, yet cannot find any sources. :/

Christian Eidem My impression is that he believed that one cannot prove the resurrection by historical method, but we should believe it anyways. Am I wrong?

Brett Though he was open to a certain historical-critical reading of the Bible, when it came to the resurrection Bonhoeffer was a Barthian through and through. He believed in the actual resurrection of Jesus and did not merely chalk it up to a bland Bishop-Spong-liberalism of "Jesus rose in the disciple hearts".