Caroline Barron_Author's Reviews > Loving Frank

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Absolutely riveting. I've got rather a fondness for biographies about feisty women - think Zelda Fitzgerald, Idina Sackville, Nica Rothschild. And I'm loving the trend of historical fiction. Fiction based on real events as far as they can be. The other example I loved was The Paris Wife, about Hadley Richardson who became Ernest Hemingway's first wife.

Loving Frank is the story of Mamah Cheney, the woman who stole the heart of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright heart in the early 1900s, despite both of them being married to others, with children.

In essence it is an exploration of the morality of a woman's internal personal development, satisfaction and desire versus her duty as a mother and wife. Throughout the book I was torn. Whilst I admired her in a time where such courage meant vilification by her family, peers and the 'yellow press', as a mother I was also distraught at the effect her actions had on her husband and children.

I will not spoil the story, but the ending is dramatic, heart-wrenching and had me gasping for breath at midnight.

Nancy Horan is a talented writer and I look forward to reading more by her, and more about Frank Lloyd Wright.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Frank.

Started Reading