Shawna's Reviews > To the Brink

To the Brink by Cindy Gerard

Jan 23, 2009

bookshelves: series-bodyguards-black-ops-inc, romantic-suspense, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, 2009-reads, best-top-favorites, favorites, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, i-read-own-faves-keepers, made-me-cry, military-romance, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-i-wanna-marry, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, married-couples-married-convenience, author-cindy-gerard, exotic-wild-settings-survivor-lovin, 5-stars-plus, hh-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, hero-brooding, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, action-packed, violence-not-for-the-faint-hearted, steam-some-like-it-hard-rough-dirty, a-all-time-favorite-hero, human-sex-slave-trafficking-slavery
Recommended for: Fans of romantic suspense featuring hot, protective military heroes

5+ stars – Romantic Suspense

If I ever get in too deep with some corrupt, unofficial foreign embassy matters and wind up getting kidnapped and held captive by terrorists in the jungles of the Philippines, I hope like hell that I have a former Special Forces soldier ex-husband, who’s still head over heels in love with me even after five years apart, like Ethan Garrett to come rescue my ass!

Whew, what an intense, edge-of-your-seat, nail-biting romantic suspense thriller! Ethan Garrett is an absolute dream romantic hero. He’s sexy, confident, strong, tender, loyal, protective, and heartbreakingly tortured by things he’s done in his past as a soldier. The passion between Ethan and Darcy is scorching hot, and they share a deep love and a powerful, lasting connection that remains unbreakable, even after divorce and a five year separation.

The secondary storyline involving the unexpected, tentative friendship, respect, and attraction that develops between Darcy’s fellow captive Amy Walker and Ethan’s brother and fellow rescuer Dallas is sad and touching, and I loved their story, which continues in Into the Dark.

This is my favorite story in Gerard’s awesome Bodyguards series! Big 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Brink.

Quotes Shawna Liked

Cindy Gerard
“When he reached her, he touched a hand to her face. Smiled. "Important. That's one word. Everything. That's another. Loved," he said, adding the most important word of all. "God, Darcy, you are so loved.”

Cindy Gerard
“Okay,” he said, his breath hitching, his hands shaking like hell as he pried her arms from around his neck and set her away.
Deep breath. Another. "Okay. Okay. Christ. Christ, Darcy, I want you so bad I'm afraid I'm going to hurt you.”

Cindy Gerard
“Ah, well.” He smiled-another one of those devastatingly intoxicating smiles that did unreasonable things to her body temperature and respiration.
With a nod and a respectful, “Ma’am,” he left her in the middle of the room.
Feeling like she’d been hit by a tank.”

Cindy Gerard
“I don't think sleeping with you is going to solve anything," she said, stopping at the guest bedroom door.
"I don't really care what you think.”

Cindy Gerard
“He hugged her hard. "I love you. My life is so much better with you in it than out of it.”

Cindy Gerard
“I generally find subtlety a waste of time.”

Cindy Gerard
“She flew into his arms. Held on tight as he swung her off her feet and hugged her so hard it hurt. She didn't care. She didn't want him to ever let go.”

Cindy Gerard
“He understood that she needed some time to get used to "them." He didn't. He knew exactly what was happening, and he didn't need another week, another month, another year, to get things in perspective.
He loved her. It was that plain. That simple.”

Cindy Gerard
“There are definite advantages to single beds." He sat up abruptly and arranged her legs around his waist. "Makes cuddling mandatory.”

Cindy Gerard
“I guess the answer would be yes."
"Got to love that word." He kissed her so sweetly then, it brought tears to her eyes. "Got it in you to say it again?"
And then he did the unthinkable. He went down on one knee.”

January 23, 2009 – Shelved
page 58
Started Reading
November 10, 2009 –
page 134
38.07% "This is really good. I'm so glad I went back to this series. Thanks Auntee for the great Black Ops reviews providing a little push!"
November 10, 2009 – Finished Reading
March 3, 2012 – Shelved as: violence-not-for-the-faint-hearted
April 6, 2012 – Shelved as: steam-some-like-it-hard-rough-dirty
June 30, 2013 – Shelved as: a-all-time-favorite-hero
June 26, 2014 – Shelved as: human-sex-slave-trafficking-slavery

Auntee Oh yeah! I adore Ethan too! Best book of the series--nice review, Shawna!:)

message 2: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Great review Shawna! One of these days I'm going to have to pick up this series. :)

message 3: by Rane (new)

Rane Awesome Review Shawna!
After all that I hope to have an Special Forces soldier ex-husband to save my ass to! XD

Shawna Thanks ladies! :)

Auntee, Ethan definitely made my top favorite romantic heroes list!

Tammy, It's a really great series and I just wish that I hadn't waited so long to read them.

Rane, LOL!

message 5: by Teo (new)

Teo Your reviews of the series made me want to read it, too. Now i have a question... Can I start with this book and read them all out of order? I sort of want to start with a story that I'll really like to so I'll want to keep reading..