Leile Brittan's Reviews > Tropic of Capricorn

Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller

Henry Miller is my favorite author of all time. It's hard to say what his best book is, because each thing he did was really different in terms of setting, attitudes, and stylistically. It's all good stuff, but I pick this as the fave, maybe just because of the personal time frame in which I consumed it. He just makes sense, even when he comes off as a chauvinist or an asshole. Most people make the mistake of remembering Miller for the sexual content in some of his novels. But this was merely one piece of the much bigger pie: Miller sought to liberate the human race in all facets of life, not just in terms of sexuality. Above all, Miller wanted to elevate consciousness and open up a world of possibilities to the reader previously untapped...truly one of the great thinkers of all time. There's nothing like it when Miller gets on a hot streak; to me this book contains some of his best frantic scribblings and rants.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tropic of Capricorn.

Started Reading