Davonni's Reviews > Hair Dance!

Hair Dance! by Dinah Johnson

liked it
bookshelves: cultural-text-set

Hair Dance, Is a beautiful book that takes you through the different hair types and styles of young girls. The book goes through many ethnicities celebrating the beauty in everyone having their own unique look. This Story has no main characters, rather several young girls showing off their hair styles. This book would be a great example for any young girl particularly the African American culture between the grades of Kindergarten through second grade who may be struggling with identity issues. Dinah Johnson does an excellent job of making the hair styles in the book come to life in such a positive way. When describing an African American child with braids she says “ Braids swing with me like water, moving free no matter how I wear my hair it’s a special part of me. “ I would use this text in my classroom when talking about different cultures and taking pride on how each student is different. I would have a group discussion on the rug with the students all sitting in a circle and we could talk about how each student in the class has their own special hair style. This would be a way to get students to be involved and get them to see beyond the book that each student has their own special identity. Dinah Johnson the author of Hair dance also comes from an African American cultural. The illustrator Kelly Johnson comes from a different cultural, but she is still able to capture so many great pictures of different young girls and their hair styles. This text relates to my topic when it has to deal with girls feeling confident in what they look like. “Hair blows straight in the wind,” with a picture of a girl smiling dancing outside shoes how happy she is with herself. These simple images, along with the text make it easy for young girls to relate to this book. I recommend for other teachers to get this book based on the message it tells about having confidence in yourself and the cultural you come from.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hair Dance!.