Diane S ☔'s Reviews > The Valley of Amazement

The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan

liked it

It is very apparent that Tan did a huge amount of research before writing this novel. Her writing is very fluid and strong, so why than did I only rate this book a three? When I first started reading this I was enthralled, reading about the lives of the concubine, the houses that provided pleasure but also a place were business was discussed and deals were made. Found it fascinating that the madame of the place was a white woman, who had a young daughter.

Fast forward and politics rears its ugly head, previous players are no longer the ruling players and love makes a fool of an otherwise wise woman. This is when it began to get monotonous for me. The training of a young virgin, the intimate details all became too much, I no longer cared to read constantly about the ways to please a man. Details were repeated and I had a hard time reading the explicit details on the deflowering of a young girl, and it was more than one girl.

In truth the book was about a hundred pages too long for me, but while I felt bad for these young woman, I really did not like any of these characters. This is how the book was for me, many from the reviews do not feel that way. So read this for a look into a little known culture, well researched but just know that in places it gets repetitive and very explicit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Valley of Amazement.

October 22, 2012 – Shelved
October 22, 2013 – Started Reading
October 23, 2013 –
page 50
October 24, 2013 –
page 75
18.75% "I seem to have a torrid fascination with the lives of courtesans. Who knew? But I am finding it fascinating."
October 26, 2013 –
page 120
October 30, 2013 –
page 150
October 31, 2013 –
page 200
50.0% "Reading this book I have discovered that I find reading about the ways to please a man , is tiring. Plus I don't really like any of these characters."
November 1, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Fineisen HA!

message 2: by Elli (new)

Elli I appreciate your review.

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Eww. No deflowering in my literature please!

message 4: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen LOL, Maureen.

Diane S ☔ Maureen if you read this and had to read about the tons of ways to please a man, how to glance at him coyly, learn music and songs to match his moods, really I suppose this is how it really was but I did not even like the characters, even without the deflowering. LOL I can see you all rolling your eyes.

message 6: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Thank you for this review Diane, I have read Memoir of a Geisha, and I will leave it at that - I don't need anything more graphic.

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie Yes, eye roll!

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Definite pass - thanks Diane.

Kaye at page 148 ready to throw in the towel and move on to something else. Yuk!

Carol I agree Kaye. Not enjoying much at all.

message 11: by Mariah Roze (new) - added it

Mariah Roze Our Diversity in All Forms Book Club is reading this for December. We’d love to have you join the discussion on it. :) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...