Lisa's Reviews > Red Rain

Oct 22, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, creepy-scary, edelweiss
Read from October 22 to 28, 2012

The writing in Red Rain is more adult than what I remember his Y.A books being. Not a massive difference but I thought I'd point that out as a lot of reviews for this book say the writing style is pretty much the same as his older work.

I found a difference in the actual writing style but the storytelling seemed the same. It seemed like classic R.L. Stine in that sense. It wasn't overly original, scary or well-written but it had that R.L. Stine feel where you keep reading despite the flaws.

It reminded me a lot of the movie “Orphan” at first. Then it started to remind me of the “Children of the Damned” movies. Then when I got to the end of the book, R.L. Stine had written that he’d been inspired by the “Children of the Damned” movies. So that made sense.

There were plot holes, like in most R.L. Stine books. The thing I had the biggest issue with was the way this woman just took these two children and decided she was going to adopt them. I’m pretty sure there would be more of a process to that sort of thing. The process is not, “Oh, their mother died. I’m just going to take them home with me.”

Another thing I had a problem with was the seemingly random affair. I just didn’t understand what it added to the story except a sex scene.

Anyway, I liked the book. It wasn’t stinking of greatness but it was a good read for the Halloween season. I thank R.L. Stine for entertaining me as a child. He was and forever will be a legend.

(Thanks to Edelweiss for providing me with a copy in exchange for my honest opinion)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Rain.

10/22/2012 page 198
51.0% "these kids are fuckkkkked."