Melanie's Reviews > Loving Layne

Loving Layne by V.L. Locey

F 50x66

great main couple, age gap, sexy and romantic

Rating: 4.25🌈

Hockey, V.L. Locey, age gap…done well and hot? Plus an intelligent nerd with a thing for great hats, Mel Tormé, and a classic car? I’m all in!

Part of a 6 book-series, Hockey Allies Bid M/M Romance Collection from six different authors, Loving Layne is V.L. Locey’s addition to this terrific series.

A fan both of the game, the players, and LGBTQIA+ hockey romances, I loved a series about a group of Hockey Allies at a charity event and the romances that sprang from it.

Locey didn’t disappoint with two amazing characters here.

Roman Kennedy, a journalism major, who’s very background oozes ink for the presses, is on a mysterious road-trip with his college roommate and best friend to Chicago.

Ah , Roman. He’s the one with the beloved newshound grandfather in his past. The one who left him the stylishly older fashioned hats Roman wears, the music tracks and vinyl of music he listens to, and the classic car Roman inherited that he drives. Roman is that character you adore immensely.

The other main character is Layne Coleman, NHL hockey player, one year away from retirement. A ten year age gap but actually mentally and emotionally… no separation. They click! Like two pieces that immediately get each other.

Locey writes them as two souls who as they talk , it’s not just physical chemistry, but a meeting of two like minds… and hearts. So the reader is so on board with their romance and relationship.

Roman and Layne are great together. I love their section of this story.

There’s a drama that plays our quickly and a mystery that most will have figured out almost immediately.

The elements that I find , well if not likable, but then perhaps less dimensional, are Dillon, Mrs. Coleman, and Mrs North.

Maybe they have just less “page time” but whatever the reason they come across as less fleshed out then the main couple. Especially Dillon. He’s nothing but action and emotion. There doesn’t seem to be any real depth to him.

Which was fine, it was Layne and Roman I really cared about and they had a wonderful ending. I could even do with another story about them. I liked them that much!

Here’s another hockey romance winner from a author who’s great at both writing hockey and romance.

Grab it up and enjoy!

Here’s the entire series:

Hockey Allies Bid M/M Romance Collection:
- [ ] Guarding Garrett #1 by R.J. Scott
- [x] Loving Layne #2 by V.L. Locey
- [ ] Keeping Kyle #3 by Jeff Adams
- [ ] Scoring Slater #4 by Susan Scott Shelley
- [ ] Absolving Ash #5 by Chantal Mer

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Layne.

December 17, 2021 – Started Reading